Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

81 - 99 of 99 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
wingryder the foreign car rear end are geared too low. there maybe a place you can get the ring and pinions from but i have yet to find one. trust me i looked at the smaller lighter rears. my first 1200 i went with a mg rear gear was in the 410 range or lower way too low for the highway unless you use 20 in" wheels and 40 " tall tires or a combination to get to 40" I had to cut it out and start over. you'll never notice the difference while riding in the weight.
this is a gear ratio to tire size chart
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-parts/towing/vehicle-towing/maneuvers/gear-ratio-tire-size-chart.htm

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Just seeing your body. It reminds me of the old police trikes very nostalgic. and the lights match it pretty good. you could always buy the old ford style tear drop lights and stick on the fenders or on the back of the trunk if you like them but the trailer lights look pretty good to me.

I have finally got most of the parts and more importantly the time to get the body assembled.
I had to redesign the way the original Goldwing trunk mounts on to the trike and make it a little higher up to accommodate the opening of the larger trunk below.
So I cut a couple of pieces of square tubing that I welded onto a couple of pieces of angle Iron that bolt onto the trunk in the original mounting points and then fit into some larger pieces of square tubing welded to the top of shock mount frame, much like a receiver hitch. Then I drilled and bolted them.
This makes the trunk easy to remove, just pull the two bolts and lift straight up.
On The front of the box I created a subframe out of angle Iron for strength.

The front and angle diamond plate panels were cut to size and welded on.
Then we created the front cover with the same bends and edges as the rear cover making an angle on the front to match the front panel, after cutting the holes for the trunk mounts and seat with a plasma cutter it was bolted in place from the inside through the seat hole.
The fenders had some aluminum flat bar welded across the bottom inside edge and a tab welded on the inside top, these were drilled and through bolted to the inside using another matching flat bar on the inside. Then everything was assembled together for the first time.
I put the (Ugly) trailer lights back on just to drive it around, I am still undecided on what to use as the permanent tail lights.

Peter

·
Old Broad
3,841 Posts
What a great looking trike! You have done yerself proud my dear. Cheers Angela:claps::claps::waving::waving::waving:

·
Premium Member
3,365 Posts
I think that eventually you'll have to rebuild that swing arm. You have a
heavy rear end with two wheels spread apart, every time a wheel hits a
bump or dip, it's trying to twist the bike's entire mass with it.

The basis of your swing arm is a light weight two wheeler's swing arm
front / pivot not intended for torsional loads your placing on it, hence the
failure you already suffered.

You could copy a proven design like Champion or Lehman uses for solid
axle trikes, or get your self 8 good 3/4" heim joints and some chrome moly
tubing and fabricate a ladder bar setup with single diagonal to keep it
centered like Motor Trike.

Not a criticism, I just think your gonna have more problems with what I
saw.

Otherwise .... Good Show! :)

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
CP I don't read where he has had any problems as of yet with the swing arm?? I have built 4 trikes using the original swing arm and as of yet haven't had a problem with any of them. I think mounting the swing arm with the rubber mustang parts has help. As i read about solid axle rears on some of the factory trikes they don't want any flex. Makes them corner better.

Built my first 1200 with my own swing arm and they where not attached to each other, latter style. rode great down the rode but wasn't as good in the curves as a solid axle. My IRS rears have the same tendency to roll a little in the curves. ride really good on rough roads and straights but just don't do as good in curves as the solids axles do. Not bad but i can tell the difference.

I prefer the straight axles. The straight axles don't twist or flex, they aren't suppose to i think that's the whole point, they handle the curves better that way. If you've ever ridden a straight axle trike you'll see what i mean when you hit a joint in the road. Hold tight to the bars. You don't have that with the IRS. It's kinda of a trade off.

·
Premium Member
3,365 Posts
CP I don't read where he has had any problems as of yet with the swing arm?? ... etc ... .
Post #60, with pics ... http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/385064-85-gl1200-aspencade-home-built-trike-conversion-project-6.html#post1731191

Oh, I hope he doesn't have any more problems .... nor you either .... my post was not to flame.

You may be right, maybe it's the rubber bushings that save the shock loads to the swing arm enough that it "lives". Maybe that was a fluke? :?

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Just backed up and saw the break. don't know how i missed that one. looks like the swing arm was really thin in that spot. I put a patch of 1/8 in steel on the top of mine in that area so that may make the difference.

His swing arm may have been rusty looks really thin to me in the pic. may have done too much grinding in that spot to clean thing up or the evil rust monster has done the damage.

My first 1200 trike has been going strong for 5 years and the last one i built 4 years ago is also doing well.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
We have ridden the trike for quite a few miles since the repair of the swingarm.
I have closely examined the swingarm numerous times checking for cracks or other damage.
I have not found any sign of problems.
The repair seems to have solved the problem.
The original swingarm was in pretty good shape no rust to speak of and no detectable cracks or breaks.
The material in that area was surprisingly thin, less than a 1/16th of an inch.
The 3/16ths plating I sheathed over the area strengthened it considerably along with the crossmember.
The bearings, seals, bushings and mounting bolts were in excellent shape when I disassembled it for repair. I replaced the bearings anyway, just because I had them.
I had considered creating some sort of a four link system like a car uses, but this seems to be working as designed.
It does handle exceptionally well, after I got over the not being able to lean issue I have been able to run any turn at any speed. At first the suspension was a little bouncy, I cured that by reducing the rear tire pressures to 20 PSI.
Peter

·
Registered
4 Posts
my Trikes

Nice I built a Honda CX 500 into a trike for the wife in 1994. used a hyundai pony rar diff narrowed on one side like you did. and slipped the Hyuadai driveshaft over the Honda output shaft. had a few trail runs with length and balancing. used stock rear shocks. and lengthened the exhaust. used boat trailer fenders and a rear rack made from fridge shelf. sorry. no picture. sold trike in late 90s.

then is 99 built a trike for myself from a nice GL 1100 used same Hyundai pony diff and stock rear shocks, but bought a rear body from Lehmans ,was a second. looked and rode great. sold it in 08 and rebuilt a 1800 CSC trike that was rolled .changed the frame and ride it without a body for month ..sold it and built another trike from a 07 Suzuki 1500 .. sold it too/
last november lost everything in garage fire and bought a ready made Lehman 1200 trike. is the third one John Built himself for Brian Elliot. only has 93,000 kms on it. here is picture of the 1800 after frame was changed. and my 1200 today ,,which is for sale . going to find a damaged Spyder to rebuild.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Has anyone used the front differential from an S-10 4WD as a trike differential? The front differential corrects the CCW rotation of the GL1200, weighs much less than a cast iron rear end, and offers variable tube and axle lengths.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
The gl1200 turns the right way for a car rear end. no need to flip the rears on a gl1200.If u use the s10 front you'll probably have to flip it upside down, if you don't your go backwards when u put it in gear.

·
Registered
541 Posts
It does handle exceptionally well, after I got over the not being able to lean issue I have been able to run any turn at any speed. At first the suspension was a little bouncy, I cured that by reducing the rear tire pressures to 20 PSI.
Does the "bouncy" you refer to feel like the old days when we'd pump up the air shocks and make the cars ride kinda stiff?
A might late to make this suggestion but had you leaned those shocks in a bit at the top or leaned them forward the ride would be less harsh. A vertical shock needs very loose valving to produce as good of ride as a shock leaned app 15º(as a pair).
Are the shocks you used adjustable or rebuildable? May look into opening the orifice on compression to soften it and rid the bouncy.

·
Administrator
57,513 Posts
I know this is rather an old postbut,....BUT where are the previous pictures? ????:cam:
don't know how far back you are looking Bob....

the attachments are still there on the post about 2 up.

if you are looking at dates older than about 2 years, they probably got lost when we migrated to new servers at Motorcycle.com, OR, they might have gotten lost when we changed over to new software, and some of the posts got all scrambled up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ya, I'd really like to see those pics too! Tried sending a PM to Peterbylt but his inbox is full. I'm diving into a gl1000 conversion. This thread has been inspiring!

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
57,513 Posts
I asked him once if he still had those pictures.

he told me that he stored them all on the servers here.....
unfortunately, he stored them inside each post, which made them very fragile to any database problems.....

if they had been placed in an Album, they would still be available.
However, when Steve Saunders sold the forum, it had to be moved to different servers, on a different host. we lost a lot of good pictures when that happened.

now that Motorcycle.com owns the forum, our servers are a LOT more stable... we have not lost anything since they took over, and got the software tamed down.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I asked him once if he still had those pictures.

he told me that he stored them all on the servers here.....
unfortunately, he stored them inside each post, which made them very fragile to any database problems.....

if they had been placed in an Album, they would still be available.
However, when Steve Saunders sold the forum, it had to be moved to different servers, on a different host. we lost a lot of good pictures when that happened.

now that Motorcycle.com owns the forum, our servers are a LOT more stable... we have not lost anything since they took over, and got the software tamed down.
At least things look better for the future then. Thanks! Now to reinventing the wheel... ;-) Was hoping for some pics for functional rear swing arm design and potential drive shaft ideas. I don't know anyone with a trike, just google.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Gotta say, very stoked to have those pics up!!! Thank you! I'll be buying a rear end in the next few days!

81 - 99 of 99 Posts