Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi all, I just purchases a 85 gl 1200a, test drove it and it ran great, on the way home after it warmed up a bit, it felt like the clutch started slipping while in gear, if I goosed it it would catch, there was no funny sounds or anything. I stopped for a few and went to go again and it wouldn't move at all it would even roll in gear like it was in netural, went to get trl. to get it home and when i got home and unloaded it, the clutch worked great again..... Please help would love to keep this bike....

also was low on oil and I did fill it, also clutch handle seems to be fine,(not lose) has hydrolic cluch....

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
imported post

I don't understand all of your post, but if trl means trailer and the clutch didn't slip when you unhooked it, new clutch plates are on the horizon.

·
Loyal member
276 Posts
imported post

Check to see if your clutch lever is returning out all the way.If it is sticking slightly it would make the clutch slip.Moon

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
imported post

You will probably have to do a little more troubleshooting to determine the problem. If you look in from the left side of the bike, behind that little black tank by the foot rest, you can see the bleeder for the clutch slave cylinder. Try working your clutch or riding the bike until the clutch stops working. Open the bleed valve and see if the clutch returns. It could be that you need to clean up the master cylinder, slave cylinder and replace the fluid.

What oil did you use to fill it? Do you know any history from the previous owner? how often it had been serviced and what oil they used during service? They didn't add any engine oil treatment of any kind? It could be clutch plates but I would look into the hydraulic parts before going that route.

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
imported post

You added oil. I'm hoping you meant engine oil to the crankcase?

The symptoms you describe are more in line with a preesure build up over time. You did say you could roll it in gear as if the clutch wasn't locked up?

By the time you got back with the trailer, the pressure may have just bled off. Check your clutch master and slave cylinders for blockage. The fluid needs to be able to leave the operating cylinders as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.