Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

A 1985 GL1200 is listed locally. The owner states that there is "an electrical problem - possibly a grounding issue"

Milage is "guessing 200K" (km, so say 125K miles) How much is it worth?

How bad could the 'electrical issues' be?? Would this be likely to bea bargain or would I be getting myself a nightmare??

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
imported post

You didn't say how much he wants for it.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Will most likely require pulling the engine and installation of a stator or the installation of an external poor boy set-up. If it was simple it would still be running.

Kit

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

No big deal if you feel comfortable working on electrical problems. Not really all that much on these bikes until you get to the 1500s and beyond. A new stator if that's the problem would run a bit under $150 and another $40-50 for seals and gaskets. It's not a particularly difficult replacement and in my opinion better than going for an external alternator like the Poorboy rig. Not that they don't work okay but I prefer to keep a bike mostly stock. I don't know what prices are in your area but I'd say it would be worth around $1200-1800 depending on condition other than the electrical system. No one is likely to get big bucks when selling a non-running bike, usually 50-60% of what they'd get if it were running. If you have to have it repaired in a shop then even that would be too high, if you tackle the job yourself you might be stepping into a bargain.

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks for the feedback.

He is asking $1500 CDN. Don't know what the exchange rate is today but I would guess about $1300 US. Maybe I can get him to drop a bit.

I wouldn't mind taking ona stator replacement. I was just a bit worried that the 'worst case scenario' for electrical issues could be more complicated than that.

I would guess if it was running he could expect $2500 - tops. So if all else is in reasonable shape, I am starting to think it may be a worthwhile project........

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

$1500 is high for a non-running bike IMHO. IF it is in great condition otherwise, then it's a fair price, but in my experience so far, that won't be the case. There will be other things to fix too.

John

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

I agree with Jluvs2dive, $1500 is high for a non-running bike. Maybe $1200 if it's been well taken care of but I paid $1200 for a running decent shape 85 12a. Considering what you or a shop will need to do, maybe $800 is more realistic.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

You guys need to remember that bikes tend to be more expensive in Canada.

·
12,840 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
Yeah, forgot them Canucks like to gouge each other. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
Ok, maybe you should be paying $3000?

Still it's an old bike with lots of problems maybe, I'd lowball it

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
imported post

If the guy states it's a simple ground issue, tell him to have it fixed, then buy it.

Otherwise, figure value, on a 85 1200 on 'parts' value, including the ones you plan on installing.

Just my thinking.

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

OK, so I talked to the owner. He says that the stator was replaced 2 to 3 years ago.

He says that it starts up fine and runs on four cylinders. Then after 10 mins or so, two cylinders shut down. If he leaves it to cool down it starts up on all four and repeats the process.

He said there is a wire from the coil to the ECU which heats up and that this somehow shuts down the pulse generator on two cylinders.

Anybody any ideas??

Shoudl I pass or should I buy??

·
12,840 Posts
imported post

The pulse generators are a fairly easy fix, and not too expensive either, assuming you can still get one. They are subject to heat too and usually fail that way, but it usually shuts down the bike totally, not just on two cylinders. Could be the coil or ECU too. If the rest of the bike is in good shape, I'd probably go for it, but still talk him down some. JMHO

John

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Could be a bad ECU or possibly a bad ignition coil too. You can swap the ignition coils to see if the fault moves to the other two cylinders.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.