Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

has anyone looked into installing the fuel injection system of a 85 gl1200 into a gl1000 or a gl1100?

is possible or the engine set up is way too different?

·
Administrator
27,777 Posts
imported post

It would take some inventing but probably could be done. Besides making it fit there is the problem of the electronic timing pickup coils and other inputs to the computer. I have been thinking for a long time about adapting fuel injection to an 1100, just need an 1100 to do it to.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I think you'd have a lot better luck adapting a MicroSquirt system than trying to use the LTD/SEi system. The Microsquirt is easily adjusted with a PC so you can tailor it's performance to that desired. It might be possible to adapt a pair of throttle bodies, one for each side or possibly a single throttle body. That would reduce the amount of machining that would be necessary to set up individual injection ports in the intake runners though the latter would probably be most efficient.

http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/microsquirt-c-35.html

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

don't be shy people..give me some crazy ideas. do you know of any products out there?

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
imported post

Both the early 1000's and the 12000's had 32 mm carbs, so you would think the intakes would bolt up or could be adapted. Thinking of using the FI from a 1200 on a 1000?

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
imported post

first off the 1200 motor will fit into and mount to 1100 frame ...im sure all yrs even the 84 yr with its rear ignition thats bacisly set up like the 1100...

85 -87 1200 motors fit in the 1000 frame easier than 1100 motor dose as they have front ignition pick ups ...its a little close arund the stator and dipstick area but it gose ive alreadt test mounted one....

actualy the 1200 heads smaller intake ports than 1000-1100 the 1000 being slightly bigger than 1100s and alot bigger than 1200s....the intake values are the same on all three....but the exhast valve on the 1200s is smaller than 1000-1100s

as for carbs the 1200s have smaller carbs than 1000s and the same size as 1100s but entirly different....

75-77 1000s have the most aggressive cams in lift and durations and they get milder as yrs go through 1100 series....the 1200 cams are mild but have twice the overlap as 1000-1100s do and id say the potencal to breath and exhast realy well ....probably hands down on the 1100 cams eraly 1000 cams would be untouched in higher rpm zone period.....but putting 1200cams in 1000 heads seems to make sense for realy putting more power to the table in lower and mid rpm range with bigger valves and ports ....im going to give this a look soon ...i dont know if the cams even interchange yet just a thought.....

i dont know much about the fuel injection ...and realy fall out of the game here but it seems that 1000-1100 fitted with early 75-77 cams with fuel injection would be something to think about or 1000-1100 heads with 1200 cams if they fit seem promising too or just strait 1200 transplant

i personaly cant dabble in these ideals because i have no 1200 ignition setup to play with at all to consider...

all i do know is that i have a 1990 mercury xr7 supercharger 3.8 v6 with air to air intercooler and fuel injection it has never had any issues ever except keeping drivetrane together past the motor ...the only thing ive done to it is put in a super chip and over drive pulley on the supercharger ....if one could get a goldwing to perform like it dose ....you might have take off the touring fairing to keep it from taking you out when it breaks off:action::shock::gunhead:

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

Hmmm. Talked about many times before. Not to be a kill-joy, but who has completed a conversion, or a system from scratch? Anyone who gets into a project like this appears to bail on it for whatever reason(s) they have. There are some mandatory things that have to happen as I see it.

First, a real strong consideration of simply buying a '85 FI bike to scavenge from needs to be weighed. If it was a simple accomplishment, it would've already been done by somebody. Especially in this economy. A FI bike in rough shape is worth much more as a non-runner for its parts than sold as a whole. A decent 1000 in rideable condition can be had for less than a FI bike that is a non-running beater.

Second, because of the cost of the above, I think a "from scratch" solution is a better approach. But, ...this approach requires ALL work to be performed by the Owner for any cost efficiency to come out of it. From designing the system, buildingthe manifold(s), computer, controller, and ignition, etc., etc.. Extensive fabricating skills and electronics knowledge are going to be required to utilize what a GL1000 has to offer for adoption. A 0-8500 rpm range is a pretty hefty asking for a FI motor. Forced induction, aka "super-charging", ...don't even think about it until a base system is reliably built. The fuel delivery must be sequential, and not batch, because of the wasted spark ignition. The fuel timing pick-up "system" must be fabricated for the computer (I have my ideas of it's best route for accomplishment, but I ain't saying). The ignition must be manipulated, so electronic ignition is mandatory. There are a lot of "musts" that need to happen for it to happen. Again, if was easy, it would've already been a done-deal from some. I know of one site that touted dedication to the idea, but nothing materialized out in the open from what I know of.

Third, because of the cost of the above, is just simply the cost of it all. That, and the amount of time and thought that needs to be put into it. It needs to happen on paper first, then a game-plan is created to the end. Step-by-step completion of tasks with the associated materials/parts is not easy when properly thought-out. If the project involves more than one individual, then all involved must be agreeable to the plan, and follow-through with it. Distraction and side-tracking is an absolute enemy in a project like this. I suspect this is why joint efforts have failed. I suspect that the necessary skills required by an individual are not there for completion since nothing has ever come about to the surface. The "costs" involved are more than financial.

Finally, what is the end result? A team effort will never happen. There is no benefit aside from participation for those that do not own the bike. This leads to disinterest and other dastardly thoughts. Does the owner, in the end, have a $1K bike with a $2K+induction system, with $3K+ worth of labor in it? ... Is it worth pursuing? ...when a properly tuned and set-up set of stockers can deliver equivalent results?

It can be done, but who has the dedication aside from interest in doing it? A thread is morning-reading fodder.

Fizzle-McDizzle.

:cool:

·
Old School Guru
7,889 Posts
imported post

Another thing not considered here is that anyone with a working FI system on a 1200 is going to be riding it. The parts for this are getting so hard to get for the bikes that need them that it would be costly to buy a perfectly good running 1200 LTD or SEi just to take the parts off and put on a older bike.:shock: I've put TBI on a 60 model Chevy pick-up. But that was buying a system then making it work. You could probably do the same.:smiler: But I'd use something that I could get parts for.:smiler:

Gene:byebye:

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

GLester wrote:
Another thing not considered here...
Did you read my post, or just discount it? :?

Fizzle-McDizzle. :cool:

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
imported post

yes this is a difficult mod or project to consider ....and most projects by people that do them are more about personal joy in the indeaver ...not some kind of logic ...

for me fuel injection dosnt move me ...i like machanical simplisity over run by wire

2 pockets was asking for wild ideals to consider so i thew out what i thought might be things to consider that i knew about ....heads ,cams and such ....seems that if people come out with single , daul carb manifolds homebuilt that someone with right knowledge could fabercate something that would work easy enough....

·
Old School Guru
7,889 Posts
imported post

CaptainMidnight85 wrote:
GLester wrote:

Yes I read it, and simplfied it. You mentioned a salvaged bike, I mentioned one that runs. I see a difference. Sorry if I hurt your feelings, but you explain things your way and I'll do mine, my way.:smiler:

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

GLester wrote:
CaptainMidnight85 wrote:
GLester wrote:

Yes I read it, and simplfied it. You mentioned a salvaged bike, I mentioned one that runs. I see a difference. Sorry if I hurt your feelings, but you explain things your way and I'll do mine, my way.:smiler:

Who said anything about a salvaged bike, McDizzle? A non-running bike is a "salvaged" bike?

Instead ofclaiming a simplification and redundantly elaborating on my previous post, maybe you could figure it out, then build something operationalfor the man Gene. I'd sure like to see you just "buy a system and make it work" with a GL1000.

I ain't your Wife fella, so you can't "hurt" my anything... :smiler:

Steve:byebye:

·
Old School Guru
7,889 Posts
imported post

CaptainMidnight85 wrote:
GLester wrote:
CaptainMidnight85 wrote:
GLester wrote:

Who said anything about a salvaged bike, McDizzle? A non-running bike is a "salvaged" bike?

Instead ofclaiming a simplification and redundantly elaborating on my previous post, maybe you could figure it out, then build something operationalfor the man Gene. I'd sure like to see you just "buy a system and make it work" with a GL1000.

Well, apparently I did, your the one who is complaining. And I'm sure that if I was so inclined, I could build a set-up, I do have the skills. But, such a system would be a pure waste of my time and money. So before you get hot and bothered by a few words on the computer screen Steve, remember that this is a forum of different opinions by different people with different skillsets. And if you think someone is disrespecting you or something, and your going to get mad, than I suggest you log off and take a chill pill. I've been around near 60 years, I don't get mad, and I only get anoyed by people who want to be self important. Chances are I've probably forgotten more than I would care to tell, but I've been a member on this forum since 2005, and I've seen a lot of people come and go. I suggest if you don't want to go, change your crappy attitude, or others will start mentioning it.:cool:

Gene

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

GLester wrote:
CaptainMidnight85 wrote:
GLester wrote:
CaptainMidnight85 wrote:
GLester wrote:

Well, apparently I did, your the one who is complaining. And I'm sure that if I was so inclined, I could build a set-up, I do have the skills. But, such a system would be a pure waste of my time and money. So before you get hot and bothered by a few words on the computer screen Steve, remember that this is a forum of different opinions by different people with different skillsets. And if you think someone is disrespecting you or something, and your going to get mad, than I suggest you log off and take a chill pill. I've been around near 60 years, I don't get mad, and I only get anoyed by people who want to be self important. Chances are I've probably forgotten more than I would care to tell, but I've been a member on this forum since 2005, and I've seen a lot of people come and go. I suggest if you don't want to go, change your crappy attitude, or others will start mentioning it.:cool:

Gene
That's funny... "apparently" you are the one complaining, McDizzle. :cool:

"Chances are" you cannot put a fuel injection system together for a GL1000/1100 of any reliable nature, forgetful or not, as your implication suggests.

One would think that after 5 years of participation with the "Senior Guru"moniker in bold under their name on this Forum, you would be able to contribute something moreviable other than to say, "Yeah, sure, ...I can do that" without ever actually having todo it, or reasoning-out the steps to provide for another to do it. If putting fuel injection ona GL1000 is no small feat, then please share with the rest of us.

A theoretical purchase of a perfectly good running FI bike is what, ...beneficial? ...PLEASE!... The Fella asked if anyone has "looked into installing the fuel injection system...", of which, you have "apparently" not.

Again, if it's a do-able installation, and you've contemplated it before, then try and recall where in your "near 60 years" it was that left you with the conclusion to not pursue it any further than what you have thought of previously. If you summarized the conclusion as "a pure waste of time and money", well then, tell the man. Your near 60 years of wisdom would benefit him much to not do the same. Don't encourage him when you know better. What's-up with that?

If you "feel" a need to assemble forces to remove me from this Forum, or any other site, then please exert the effort full-force and proceed immediately. Until then, I call it as I see it.

Contribute something real, I'm all ears, and so is everyone else.

:)

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

This thread looks a lot shorter once I pushed the "ignore button" No need to rag me on that comment either because I can't see it.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

Right... I know better. Another "Theorist", ...or is it "Theologist"?

There is only one way for FI to happenon a GL1000, aside from a direct GL FI conversion from a SEi, and nobody has yet to mention it on any thread, in any forum, on any site that I have found.

:readit:...read it again ↑

...so 2POCKETS asks a valid question that is more valid thanmost fully understand.

That's not a opinion, that is fact.

:cool:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.