Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have an 85 GL1200 that runs HOT...on the highway it runs 3 bars from the top but when I am in town the temp guage goes to the top. Now, what should I check first. There is no thermostat in it (I found out today) because that was the first thing I checked. The fan is running when the temp comes up. Could it be the thermostatic switch? HELP!!!! Please???

Tom

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Not too clear about your fan Tom, do you mean it runs all the time? If the fan starts running somewhere about half to three quarters full scale on the temp gauge that's normal. I don't know where three bars from the top correlates to actual temperature, your service manual should tell you that. Also in a service manual you'll find out how to check the calibration of your temp gauge. That is a good place to start to be sure the gauge isn't lying to you. If the temp gauge checks out okay check your water pump by removing the lower spigot where the bottom hose attaches. Sometimes the impellers can be damaged reducing the pumping action.

Normally a 'Wing is going to run hotter in traffic than on the highway, but it shouldn't go to the top even in town if the fan is running properly and the radiator is clean. I've seen one radiator that was partially clogged with scale that caused symptoms like those you've described. The best cure for that is to take the radiator to a radiator shop, they can clean one out good as new. The radiator flushes available at auto parts stores are a waste of time and money for a scaled radiator. You should also replace the thermostat, 'Wings tend to be cold blooded in cool weather and will be very slow to warm up without the thermostat.

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
imported post

Tom
First thing to do is put the proper thermostat in the engine, no thermostat will cause an engine to run hot because the coolant is passing so fast in the rad that it does not completely transfer the heat. If she is still indicating hot I would check actual temp with a infrared temp sensor to ensure your gauge is acurate.

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thank you for all of the info..I am going to check it out this coming weekend and I will post what I find out. Thanks again

Tom

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

As per above, needs thermostat, water won't circulate properly through the engine & will make it run hot.

If you put a different non Honda wing thermostat in the bike you may have issues with the thermo switch not working properly. Just something to be aware of as others have encounter problems when using different thermostats.

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

okay...I was able to fix the overheating problem. It was multiple things wrong. First off let me say that I bought the bike not too long ago and it had sat for 3 or 4 years without being started. Okay, I pulled the radiator and took it to the shop. Turns out that a good portion of the radiator was clogged by some sorta goo. While I had the radiator off I put a new thermostat and thermostatic switch in because the thermostatic switch was bad. The fan had a wire that was broke and would touch the contact intermittently causing the fan to work spuraticly. So, I fixed the overheating issue. She runs fantastic. Thank you for the input everyone.

Tom

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

It's good to hear that it's coming together for you, that LTD should be ready and rarin' to go soon.:clapper:

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
imported post

I got a problem--- replacved the thermostat, water pump, fluids. IT IS STILL RUNNING HOT... WHAT NEXT

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

I have an 85 LTD and mine runs 3 bars from the top, or 1 bar over half most of the time. 1 bar higher and my fan comes on and will maintain it there till I can get into a situation to move more air through the radiator, Like moving in traffic.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

What's next is the radiator. Not all that uncommon to find these radiators scaled to the point some tubes are partially or completely blocked. Try a non-contact IR thermometer (inexpensive at Harbor Freight) and check the radiator for cooler spots when the engine is warmed up. The temperature on the face of the radiator should be hottest at the top and smoothly get cooler as you go down to the bottom. Side to side it should be about the same temperature at a given height. If you find any isolated cool spots in the radiator it's an indication that area is scaled or plugged. Luckily the four cylinder 'Wings have brass and copper radiators that can be cleaned easily at a radiator shop. If you need a radiator cleaned because of overheating problems don't bother with auto store cleaning chemicals, they're not strong enough take it to a radiator shop.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.