Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi everyone,

I have an 85 GL1200 LTD that I recently had"running hot"problems. My question is...when the temp gauge would get close to the top (hottest point) the bike would start running rough then shut down. I let it cool off for about 45minutes or so then it would run fine. Now, was this rough running due to the "running hot" or would there be another issue I need to look for? Thank you for any help you can offer!

Tom

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Sounds a lot like a pulser coil beginning to fail. You could test it by heating it with a hair dryer to heat it up enough to cause the engine to shut down while idling.

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

I wish that was a safety feature.
The rigs that I driver for work are $180,000 vehicles so its only right that they have these sensors, But i always thought how cool and what a good investment to have a sensor that shuts the bike off if water, or oil levels get too low. The sensor makes noise 15 seconds later the engine shuts off. It can be turned on in small burst but the problem must be corrected before the sensor gets reset.

in Your case i doubt its a safety feature.

·
Premium Member
1,328 Posts
imported post

Yep, sounds like a pulse generator.

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Are you ready for this....I feel really stupid over this one. Yes, the bike was running hot (fixed that issue) but y'all were right, it was not due to running HOT and it was not the pulse generator either. Are you ready?? Mind you, the bike had sat with a tank of gas for about 4 years before I recently bought it. I cleaned out the tank REALLY good after I got it but apparently I did not get it CLEAN enough. Turns out the filter in the tank was clogged up with rust starving it for gas and when I would let it sit the sediment would settle and the bike would run fine again. So, I took the tank off, let it set with a harsh cleaner, coated the inside of the tank and put it back on. I have not a problem since. Thank you for all the info and allowing me to show my ignorance hahahaha:shock::cheeky1:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.