Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

On Steve's "Buying a used GL1200", he's got a picture of gl1200LTD with side covers (number 5 in his picture).

I've never seen these before. Anybody know who made them? I doubt they are OEM, since they don't appear in any of the magazines I have on the bike.

I think they look awesome and would love to find a set for mine!

Dave

1985 GL1200 LTD

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Markland made a set like that for the GL1100. Maybe they made a GL1200 version?

Raymond

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
imported post

Dave:

I've got them on my LTD and just went out, pulled them off to see if there was a label or something on the back. There wasn't, but I'll keep my eyes open for some info for you.

RR

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

This forum is awesome. At least now I know what to look for.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Yep, they were definitely aftermarket, looked good too. I had them on my SEI. As Mr1200 said ifyou find a set you will need the bracket that the twist lock knob locks into. There's also a small piece with a slot in it that mounts on the bike to secure the forward end.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
imported post

You could get chrome ones at Chromeworld.

Look in the for sale section my 1200 is there for sale and has the covers.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Really don't care for the chrome ones. Personal preference, but I don't like too much chrome on a bike.

The hunt is on!

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
imported post

Dman wrote:
You could get chrome ones at Chromeworld.

Look in the for sale section my 1200 is there for sale and has the covers.
The ones you have are from Drag Specialties, or rather were made by Drag in the 80's and are probably metal. They're also missing the color keyed stickers in the upper indented area.

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

Those Markland painted covers are long gone out of production and it's rare to see them even on ebay.

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
imported post

Yes, they were made by MARKLAND (I have them on my 84) and yes they are extremely hard to find. I saw a set of them on eBay a couple of months ago and they went for almost $400.00. If you really want a set, I suggest you grab them. You just don't see them that often.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Awsome guys, I'm on them like a dog on a bone!

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

I emailed the guy with the side covers on Ebay. He states that there is no hardware to go with the covers. Looks like I'll continue to search for a while.

Thanks All

Dave

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

If you can get the covers reasonably enough, it wouldn't be hard to fabricate the mounting hardware, it isn't complex and I'm sure someone on the forum could send you picture of them. Just a thought!

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

Good point, I'll watch the auction and decide towards the end. If I get them, I'll be back asking for help.

Dave

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

To bad the idiot put the side covers in two separate auctions. Would be a pisser to win one side and not the other.

Raymond

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
imported post

Hey Dave,

If you win those covers, I will remove my covers and send you pictures of my mounting hardware so that you can fabricate your own. I will also give you measurements and drawings. Anything to help. The brackets are very simple.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.