Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

1985 ltd motor trike . i had severe tank slapping at 35mph and below and thought i would fix it! i installed new modified triple trees by side effects and neglected to take pictures. you can probably guess where i'm going. does anybody have pictures of top tree and wire/hose/cable routing? funny thing ,thirty or forty years ago i wouldn't have needed pictures.lol. anyhow, any help will be welcomed !!

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum old and perfidious!
Ah, Good Memory.... Just Short! That's my excuse! And I'm sticking to it.
I don't think I have any.... But can't remember if I did either. The rememberer is broke.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

per·fid·i·ous/pərˈfidēəs/
Adjective:
Deceitful and untrustworthy.
Synonyms:
treacherous - traitorous - unfaithful - disloyal

You go by that?

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

My ex was born in Lakeside, her dad had a small fishing boat there in the late 50's early 60's. I think her uncle Ray has a cabin there still.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

hi to newday777, you're taking it out of context! No i don't usually go by that. it stems from old age and treachery beating youth and skill. anyhow, thankyou for the welcome

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

I was just going by the definition I found on-line

treachery beating youth and skill..... OK much better

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
imported post

old and perfidious, welcome to the forum, please post photos of your bike, would love to see it.

·
Premium Member
3,706 Posts
imported post

I don't have a picture of what you need .... But ..... while not sure what you mean by "tank slapping"..... I suspect it's what most trike riders know to be a trait of trikes, just more so those with stock bike front ends, but all trikes just the same.

old and perfidious wrote:
1985 ltd motor trike . i had severe tank slapping at 35mph and below and thought i would fix it! i installed new modified triple trees by side effects and neglected to take pictures. you can probably guess where i'm going. does anybody have pictures of top tree and wire/hose/cable routing? funny thing ,thirty or forty years ago i wouldn't have needed pictures.lol. anyhow, any help will be welcomed !!
Truth is that all trike kits for the Gold Wing will derive the same benifit from a rake kit, a lighter steering effort and greater control of where the trike goes under road conditions, acceleration and cornering as well as showing a deminished reaction to slow speed bumps on the individual rear wheels and to cross winds / roadway crown.

But .... if you take your hands off the handlebars at low speeds, she'll still react, she'll still oscillate left / right in reaction to irregularities the rear wheels encounter. It's not your old Bike, it''s not a bicycle either, it doesn't steer by leaning or countersteering, etc.

That front wheel is still a "caster with handlebars", it just has less trail now. It steers like your tricycle, it requires handlebar control be exercised if moving so a Golden Rule of Trike Riders is:

"Always, If the wheels're turning, a hand is on the handlebar!".

Goes with:

"Always, If the wheels're turning, Keep the feets on pegs (floorboards)!" and

"Always,Watch those fenders at gas pumps!" and

"Never leave it running unnatended WO block!"
Later ...... :waving:

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Hi, point well taken on both hands on the bars! i learned that on a Harley Hummer in 57 or 58 when it did a tank slapper and dumped me. This time I was distracted because my self canceling canceled my signal in heavy traffic. turns out, this ain't rocket science, Harley had raked trees for the 45 cu in service trike in late forties. go figure!

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,581 Posts
imported post

You can maybe get some clues from an on-line fiche. Go to www.westernhonda.com and take a look.

The stock setup has clamp type things for the hoses. Were you forced to get rid of those?

You might also find pics in the service manual. Do you have one?

Anyway, welcome to the forum. And I like the name, in its literal tranlation. Hell, we need more hard-cases. They make life more interesting.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.