Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am working on this for a Older gentlman and need a bit of help.1st it is overchargin,it is putting out 13v at idle and 16 to17 v at 2000 rpm or above.2nd. There is a rattleI think from the clutch but not sure,if the clutch is pulled in the noise almost gose away and also when the engine is reved up. Will this destory anything if run this way?This aF. I. engine so no sync. Anyone with any ideas would be great.Thanks Dannie

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

The over-charging could be a bad regulator, or it could be as simple as a bad ground. The one close to regulator. Don't run that critter at that high voltage, anymore than you can help it. Hard on bulbs, and the electronics. That charging system was a real pita. I hope Honda is proud. To put a stator gen. system in that engine configuration was a "bad" idea. It's not so bad, when it's a 750, or some such. Pop a side cover off, and there it is. But, on the back of the engine, between the frame. That's unforgivable !! But, in your case, the stator is working, so that's not the issue. It's the "waste" part of the generated current that's open somewhere. That's why so many went with the front mounted Denso mini-alt. Plenty of info on this site about that.

Actually, this model, and SEi, can, and should be sync'd., if it's out of sync. The adjustment is on the left side. I hope it hasn't been tampered with. It's all too easy to monkey with. You need to get the Supplemental manual, on the reference page. Find the manuals link. Also, look at my site for some helpful info. In the supplemental, there's a section about cleaning the throttle bodies. Do it first.

How many miles? If a lot of miles, the chain is going to be noisy, but the noise can be minimized with a good engine tune, and run at close to 900+ idle. Also, with an uneven running engine, the rear gears rattle bad. Also, the cam belts, if loose, can add to the noises. Maybe they need changed, anyway. Especially, if they're oem.

Good luck with the noise, and over-charging.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Oregonwinger if you read this just want to say thanks.I have the charging problem done but still not sure about the noise. This bike has 85000 mi. and also has a sidecar and am wondering if that puts alot more strane on the clutch and chain. Will the chain being loose damage anything?

Thank you again Dannie

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

I'm thinking the additional weight, and frontal area is bound to add some extra strain. As for a loose chain, anything's possible. But, I have never heard of one fail. Be sure to check into the throttle-body cleaning, in the supplemental. Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.