Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have an 85 GL1200 LTD and the low fuel light came on the other day and stays on. I asked a couple of wing friends here and I received a couple of smart answers such as "well go put gas in it" and "your from Texas, it is giving you plenty of warning to stop for gas". Does anyone have any ideas of what I can check?

Tom

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

First thing to do, is to look under left side of trunk, and look for lit up led's. Let us know what you find.

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

:cheeky1: hmmmm no led under the trunk

·
Administrator
26,566 Posts
imported post

The light is simply grounded by the sensor in the tank. Disconnect the white/blue wire at the sending unit and if the light goes off then the sensor is at fault, if not then look for a short to ground in the wire to the instruments.

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

My bad. I read your post wrong. Sorry about that. I automatically thought it was the other light. David is right. Disconnect the sensor, and see if the light goes off. If not, you have a short to ground somewhere beside the tank. Usually the thermistor goes open, but you may have a grounding problem anywhere from tank to dash light. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
imported post

Check the 7.5 amp fuse under the left faring pocket. If that fuse is blown the fuel light will stay on all the time. Check there first.

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thank you all for the info, I really appreciate the help. I will check it out and get back to you.

Tom

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Thats okay Oregonwinger, I thought this was going to be one of those joke things like "put gas in it" hahahhaha Thanks again.

Tom

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
imported post

Check the trunk light and wiring that leads to the fuel level sensor. If these are shorted they will cause the light to come on. Is your trip computer display working? Keep me posted.

Paul

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.