Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

In regards to my 85 GL1200. The lower threaded studs that come out of the frame to bolt down the lower part of the radiator. Are those bolts threaded in or pressed in? The bolt on the left side broke off and so I am wondering how to replace it. Thank you for any help you can offer.

Tom

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

I think they are welded in.
I think I read here or at another site of a member drilling them out and possibly rethreading or using a lock nut on the back.

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

thats what I was affraid of...having to drill them out but I think I am gonna have to because of the broken one and the other does not look like it is in good shape either. Thank you for the info.

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
imported post

I'm not sure but I think they are pressed in(or evenwelded) to the frame. If it's threaded in then you probably can unscrew it by a strong pliers or something. But if it's pressed in then maybe the solution could be the next: cut off the remaining picce of stud that protrudes from the frame, drill the holeof the same diameter as the old stud (be carefull to hit the centre)and then engrave a new thread in the hole. The new thread's diameter should be calculated by the formula:

HOLE / 0.8 = THREAD

So the new thread will be a little bit wider than the old one but it should be OK. Then get some proper screw, cut its "head" off and screw it in the frame -and that's your new stud.

Just an idea!

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
imported post

Unfortunatly they are welded in, One of mine snapped last time I removed the radiator. I ran a die down the remains of the stud then made a thin threaded sleeve (a bit of tube with an internal thread) which I used to attach a shorter stud to bring the stud out to it's original length.

It's still in place after about 4 years and a quite a few miles.

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Hey...thanks for the idea. I appreciate it!

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
imported post

I just looked at my bike and Alex & Johno are correct about the stud being welded to the frame. Using a sleave as Johno did will work very well. However, if the stud is too short to work with you could try this if the other one is still intact.
  • Before removing both studs I would suggest measuring the distance center to center between them.

Using a drill press, drill two parallel holes, (at the distance you just measured), the size of the studs in a piece of material such as a 1X2 piece of wood.

Fasten this piece of material to the remaining stud with a nut (takes a 6mm nut) and ‘C’ clamps.This should aid in guiding your drill bit to the the exact center and correct angle of the stud you are replacing.

Then simply drill & tap the hole you have drilled and adapt a bolt as Alex said to replace the studs.

It appears there is enough room to just use bolts if you wish. I believe Honda used studs simply for quicker assembly at the factory.
Keep us posted on what you do and how well it works out.

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

I ended up taking a dremel and cutting off the remaining bolts sticking out of the frame. I took a piece of steel, measured the distance across the frame and marked on the steel where the bolts would have went through the frame. I drilled holes in the piece of steel and put flat head bolts through in place of where the bolts came out of the frame. I clamped the piece of steel onto the frame and had a friend tack weld it into place and it works great. Thank you all for the ideas.

Tom

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.