Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I haven't verified this for myself yet, but the po tells me the speedometer is non functional and the self canceling signal lights are not working. Honestly, I'm not sure how they're related, but he says it's the same part.

Any idea what the part is, and if it needs replacement?

Thanks.
I get the bike on Saturday... I'm very excited. :)

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,323 Posts
imported post

Could be as simple as a cable. Are you mechanically inclined? Got tools?

First check the speedometer gear on the wheel. Jack the front wheel off the ground, remove the speedo cable and spin the wheel. The little tab on the gear should rotate. If not, change the gear. ALSO...

Next,make a small blade or anything about the size of that tab in the gear, and put it into a reversable drill. run the drill up, counter-clockwise and see if the speedo needle moves. Also listen for noise. If the cable needs replaced, we'll worry about that later. You should replace the whole thing and it's a very complicated job. Meanwhile you can lube the inner cable and see if it helps.

And yes,the self cancel featuregets a signal fromthe speedo.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

The bike came from a mechanic, and his description sounded a bit odd. I do all my own work on the other bikes and have a very complete set of tools (doing an engine swap on KLR soon). I just figured the wing was somewhat more complex.

Thanks again Dennis.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,323 Posts
imported post

A little more complex...

I think a speedo cable swap on a GL1200 is a bigger job than an engine swap on a KLR.

Sounds like you are up to the task though.

·
Administrator
27,898 Posts
imported post

Bike...and Dennis wrote:
A little more complex...

I think a speedo cable swap on a GL1200 is a bigger job than an engine swap on a KLR.

Sounds like you are up to the task though.
Every thing on a 1200 is a bigger job than an engine swap on a KLR, except putting gas in it. :cool:

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
imported post

patw wrote:
The bike came from a mechanic, and his description sounded a bit odd.
Twice you've refered to his explanation being "askew". I'd be interested in what his explanation was.

Most likely it's the drive gear assembly on the front wheel hub.

(sorry for getting back on topic.....)

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
patw wrote:

Twice you've refered to his explanation being "askew". I'd be interested in what his explanation was.

Most likely it's the drive gear assembly on the front wheel hub.

(sorry for getting back on topic.....)
Yep, the exact same part died on the Klr. The tabs inside the hub just sheared off. It was easy enough to replace.

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
you can do it

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Patw give you a little hint it aint that bad after the first time. I have a 1200 that I've just replaced the cable twice. First time took awhile second time about an hour. Remove windshield and mounting brackets. Remove front light and mounts. There are four nuts on the back side of the dash board remove those. I almost forgot there are four screws underneath the speakers that must come out as well. Once you get tha far everything is obvious. Be sure to observe the routing of the speedometer cable. I have more problems remounting the mirrors oh by the way they must be loosened as well. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll be taking delivery of the machine on Saturday, I'll come back to this thread with some updates as soon as I can see for myself what the issues are.

Thanks everyone.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just updating the thread:

I got the bike on Saturday and did some shake down testing on it. The speedo cable is indeed broken, right at the bottom. Not a hint of lube or grease in or around the cable.

I'll get a replacement cable for it asap. Thanks guys!

Btw, here's some pictures of her:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/103757423293316934105/posts/2oRLQpdRchV

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.