Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
85 Gl1200
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I recently picked up a 85 gl1200 from my grandfather. It was sitting in his shop for nearly 5 years and therefore needs a lot of work. I rebuilt the carbs and put new jets and o-rings in. I also pulled the tank and did electrolysis because it was very rusty. My problem now is that it will start on choke, and idle fine. But it won’t run off of choke or rev at all. As soon as I try to rev it, it immediately dies. I don’t know if my air/fuel mixture is off or my carbs aren’t synced well? I really don’t know a lot about these bikes I’m just really trying to get this bike going. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also any tips on other preventative maintenance I should do on a bike that’s been sitting would be appreciated. Thanks so much I have learned a lot from these forums.

·
Premium Member
273 Posts
First off,welcome.second,stay tuned,someone more knowledgeable than me will be along soon.I will say,make sure the throttle cable is opening the carb rack all the way.

Sent from my LM-X420 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Where did you get the jets?
Cheap carb kits often have the wrong jet sizes. Better off to just clean the OEM jets and reuse them, unless they are junk. Use OEM Honda or Randakks parts for best results. Also it will often take some time in an ultrasonic cleaner to get the carbs completely cleaned. Sitting is the one thing that takes out more GoldWings than anything else.

·
Premium Member
2012 GL1800
668 Posts
Vacuum leaks will cause the same problem. The hoses are 35 years old and brittle. A slight leak will cause a lean condition when opening the throttle.
As far as other maintenance, replace the timing belts.

·
Registered
85 Gl1200
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Where did you get the jets?
Cheap carb kits often have the wrong jet sizes. Better off to just clean the OEM jets and reuse them, unless they are junk. Use OEM Honda or Randakks parts for best results. Also it will often take some time in an ultrasonic cleaner to get the carbs completely cleaned. Sitting is the one thing that takes out more GoldWings than anything else.
I picked them up from my local bike shop. They’re pretty reputable and the jets were the same size. But I’m not sure where the actual carb kit came from

·
Registered
85 Gl1200
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Vacuum leaks will cause the same problem. The hoses are 35 years old and brittle. A slight leak will cause a lean condition when opening the throttle.
As far as other maintenance, replace the timing belts.
[/QUOTE
How do you find a leaking hose

·
Registered
85 Gl1200
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I should mention when I pulled the carbs apart they were in decent shape, other then some o-rings being dried everything appeared fine. It wasn’t plugged up or varnished to badly.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,164 Posts
As already said, use only OEM parts. Do you have the correct air cleaner installed?

And welcome to the forum. Where do you live and what model is the bike?

·
Registered
85 Gl1200
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you. The air cleaner is stock. I live in CO, and the bike is an 85 Gl1200 interstate
As already said, use only OEM parts. Do you have the correct air cleaner installed?

And welcome to the forum. Where do you live and what model is the bike?

·
Administrator
27,523 Posts
I should mention when I pulled the carbs apart they were in decent shape, other then some o-rings being dried everything appeared fine. It wasn’t plugged up or varnished to badly.
They’re pretty reputable and the jets were the same size.
Did you verify the passages were clean or just take it for granted?
Jets may have the same numbers and be the wrong size.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
61,278 Posts
What passages are you referring to?
all of the little teeny tiny idle circuit passages, you have to remove the carbs to clean them.
you can tell if they are open by spraying something through the little holes in the carb, every one of the them must be unclogged.

harbor freight has a small ultra-sonic cleaner, not very expensive.

disassemble the carbs completely, place in the cleaner tank, you can use Simple Green and water and let it boil over night.
or use carb cleaner and it will clean it out faster.
the carbs must be submerged below the liquid or it wont work.

·
Administrator
27,523 Posts

·
Registered
1985 Honda Goldwing GL1200
19 Posts
I had a lot of problems with carbs from a sitting bike. I cleaned the carbs several times. Finally, I got Chem-Dip for cleaning carbs. It worked great. I took the carbs apart one at at time and I let each carb soak overnight then washed them out and blew out all the moisture. It was the only thing that really worked. Make sure to take off any rubber o-rings. Clean the original jets in the same solution and put them back. If you messed with any settings, you will need to synchronize the carbs too. Good luck. Persistence is the key.

Reactions: Sniper60

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hmm..won't idle without the choke and won't rev, again without choke, then dies. Classic example of clogged slow jets and/or the passages associated with them. Pull the carbs and it's time for a do-over.

·
Administrator
27,523 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts