Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a long winter I decided to get the 85 around incase of some decent weather.
Installed the battery and charged it.
Turned over but would not start, had spark put my hand on the pump didn't seem to be anything from it.
Can I check the pump by just jumping 12 volts?
Or is it better to jump the relay?

Side note when I went back to pull the pump noticed dampness under the water pump ARRRRRRRRRGH! :?
Have one coming from Cyclemax

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes I tried the tapping of the pump, and the fuel is on, jumped the pump with 12 volts and all I get is a spark?
Kill switch is off removed the plugs to let it turn over easier, while I watched to see if that was it, still nothing from the pump.
Rock Auto had Preludes pumps for less than 40 bucks, so one is on the way.
After all this went to try one more time, nothing won't turn over, light goes out checked the fuse ok, solenoid is out Craaaaaaaaaaaap
Should have stayed in bed

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes I did a charge with an full size battery charger, set a 2 amps, maybe took 30 minutes to show full charge. I shows 12.5 volts with the key off.
No my mistake I didn't run the gas out, at the end of the season. I did use about 2 oz of Seafoam at the last fill up idled the bike for about 15 minutes then put it away.
Pulled the plugs and they aren't wet, they were new last year and NGK's.
It quit turning over while I was trying to test the pump while it was spinning.
I'll try and slow down too. It was 40+ here today and I tried to be in to much of a hurry to ride.
No mice either, and I'll hold off about the pump till I get it running. Wasn't sure about using ether on a wing.
I should know better than just jumping a things, one thing at a time.
Tried again tonite, still won't turn over checked the fuse, it is OK nothing going through the solenoid. Head light turns off when I use the start button.
Really glad to see your doing well enough to post.

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry to be so late. time to go to work this morning.
Yes it did spin over freely I did remove the plugs so I could watch and see if the pump was trying to work.
I didn't hold the start button for more than about 5 or so seconds. I went to the left side of the bike to check connections on the battery they were tight so I pushed the start button again, nothing. I checked the fuse on the solenoid it is ok. So I hooked up the meter to check for voltage going through the solenoid nothing there either. Tonite I'll check for fuel in the carbs, and the connections of the solenoid. It has been changed at some time before. I'll check the wiring diagram, to see which connections activate the solenoid.

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes I did find fuel in the drains on the back two carbs. So as was told I sat back and slowly went through things 1 at a time.
Fuel in carbs check
Went through the fuses again still all looked ok. Big mistake on my part the 10 amp ignition fuse looked ok, but when checked with a meter no continuity. Changed it out and presto it turns over. But Very Very slowly.
I put the charger back on and it showed 50% but it charged right up, HUH.
Wednesday after work I let it set again retry it. I'll give it more time, and see if that changes anything. If not it is off to the battery store and have them test it.
Could it be that having a weak battery is causing all this?
I read more than once about these don't like a weak battery.
But it is just over a year old.:?

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
After a long day of snow removal I didn't feel like going back to town to have the battery tested. I'll take it with me tomorrow. I did give a full charge tonight and it just barely turned over. So I expect now it may be the battery.
One thing at a time.
Set up the meter and when I push the start button it measures 4 volts.
Release the button and back to 12.
I will remember the advice for Properly storing the wing and to myself :lash:

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
After all this I finally had the chance to have the battery tested. Mechanic at work let me take home their high end tester.
Battery is BAD. So now its time to replace it. I realize now I really jumped at it to fast and know better.
Now I won't ask for recommendations for a replacement did a search kinda like asking about tires or oil. I'll get what I can find this time of year. If this is all it was from the beginning I'll start on new post on how NOT to jump at things.
And painfully remove my own shoe from my bu**
We'll see.
To all who commented :bow:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.