Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
imported post

Dhorn, welcome. Your going to have to be a lot more specific about an oil leak. It could be as minor as the washer around the oil drain plug, or as major as a crack in the engine cases. Best advice I can give is to thoroughly clean the entire bike and engine and try to see where the drip is coming from. That's it for now

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

Have a good look around the edges of the valve covers and look closely at the shifter seal. You cannot simply tighten the valve covers because they have bolts with stops built in so you'll need new gaskets. If it's the shifter seal leaking it is best if you remove the exhaust manifold so you can drive a new seal in square.

Vic

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

I cleaned the engine real good and it looks like there is a drip right along what looks like the valve cover gasket. Have you ever replaced this. It's a small leak but oil leaks drive me crazy.

Thanks

Dan

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
imported post

It's an easy job, get the new gasket, you may want to get the gaskets for the valve cover bolts as well, they're all rubber seals. While you're at the Honda shop, get a tube of "Honda Silicone" put a little dab of silicone on the new gaskets on the 4 points.

This should stop early leaks on the new gaskets.

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

dhorn wrote:
I cleaned the engine real good and it looks like there is a drip right along what looks like the valve cover gasket. Have you ever replaced this. It's a small leak but oil leaks drive me crazy.

Thanks

Dan
You will need to remove the fasteners on the crash bar at the frame downtube and loosen the lower nut on the bottom arm of the crashbar to remove the valve cover.

Make sure you clean the gasket surfaces carefully and try not to let any of the old gasket pieces fall into the engine.

As Tony stated use a minimal amout of RTV silicone to seal things up a bit better, but don't use too much silicone because it can come off and cause oiling problems.

This is not a difficult job, but pay attention to keeping dirt out of the engine.

Vic

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.