Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hey all,

Newcomber here, joined today, be gentle :cheeky1:. I'm having a couple issues going on w/ the bike and I'm sure they are related to the same problem but can't figure out how.The bike is fuel injected.

The 1st issue is w/ my Fuel System Light. Every once in a while, usually on start up, the light will come on. I drive the bike for about 5 minutes or so, stop and turn off the bike, remove and install the gas cap, and the light will go out. The light will not go out if Ijust stop the bike and start it back up.While it is on, it runs alittle rough, not too bad. When it turns off it runs good. My usual ride is to work on a highway @ around 30 mins. After I make the ride, within the last mile or so, the light comes back on.

The other issue is sputtering. It doesn't happen all the time, but more often on less than half a tank, but not always then too, and at different speedsIt doesn't have a direct correlation w/ the fuel system light either as the light is usually off when it does sputter. Hopefully the description "sputtering" is an ok one. The bike kinda chugs for a secondand goes away.

From what I've read here, there is a vast amount of knowledge and experience to tap into here and hopefully someone can help

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

How old is the fuel filter?

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
imported post

I, too, am having similar problems with running rough and fuel system lightcoming on. Had a code of tps open/short, replaced it, light stays off now except when cracking the throttle open. also backfires and misses when cracking the throttle. smells of rich exhaust and black smoke very appherent. TIM

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,953 Posts
imported post

Hi Viper, welcome to the forum.

Your problem could be as simple as a dirty gas cap.

From there, who knows. There are a lot of sensors on that machine.

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
imported post

Bike...and Dennis wrote:
Your problem could be as simple as a dirty gas cap.

From there, who knows. There are a lot of sensors on that machine.
Check the gas cap and the vent
also download the service manual from the reference section of this board and check for diagnostic warning lights on the computer under the trunk.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.