Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

85 gl1200 aspy with 78k ,i have a noise from the r/side head area that sounds like a flutter i goes away when i pull in the clutch but it seems to cause a issue with the
carbs also ,this forum is great thanks for the help on my other wing issues:applause:

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
imported post

Pulling in the clutch would not affect the valves or cylinder head in any way. It would, however stop gear noise, and probably affect primary chain noise as well.
The four cylinder GL's make all kinds of strange and unusual noises in the transmission. The gears are big, and square cut and when the strong vs. quiet choice came up, strong won hands down.

See if the sound changes with the throttle setting, accelerating, decelerating, and for different gears. Does the pitch or frequency of the noise follow engine speed or road speed?

As far as causing an issue with the carbs? What kind of issue?

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,323 Posts
imported post

When I hear people complain of noises on the right side of the motor, I think fuel pump.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
imported post

Dennis might be right on.

The fuel pumps are most commonly found to click, but one could describe an early clicking like a flutter.
Fuel pump problems could most certainly cause your carb issues.
While we are looking at fuel pump, a starved fuel pump would make a sort of fluttering sound. Is your fuel filter recent?

The manual has a procedure for checking fuel pump delivery.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

:praying:i think the noise might be a leaking down lifter it sounds like when the noise happens maybe the valve or valves are not closing or opening correctly,the clutch changing it might be taking the load off the lifter,i will check the fue pump also thanks for the help

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
imported post

The 1200's have hydraulic valve lash adjusters and rely on a constant supply of clean non foamed oil to function. It is not uncommon on engines that have run with dirty oil to have clogged orifices and develop a tapping, or even a clattering sound, sometimes on and off, sometimes continuous.
The solution seems to be either a program of short oil/filter change intervals or the short intervals coupled with some Marvel's Mystery Oil in the crankcase.
I cannot comment with any authority on the M.M.O. but there are enough folks who swear by it that there must be substance in the claim.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.