Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Greetings gurus!

Trying to track down why I'm getting bad gas milage and I noticed my choke control has a bit of play in it. Specifically, about an inch of play between full off and when I feel tension. Is this normal on all of these, or can I assume the choke isn't disengaging fully. Bike runs like a champ, though when warm the idle creeps up to around 1200-1400 RPM. Doesn't seem to be overheating, runs smooth through the whole RPM range. Not blowing any smoke, though it does smell a little on the rich side.

Poking around here, it looks like you have to disassemble half the bike to get to the choke mechanism which looks incredibly unamusing. Any way to check/lube/adjust this without turning it into a weekend project?

Paul

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

If you can see the carb mechanism moving when you push or pull the choke, try to blast it with wd-40. See if you can push it off with a long screw driver incase it sticks. Check your air filter because this will also alter your fuel air mixture if its dirty.

Float height will cause a rich burn if they are set too high or a lean burn if they are too low.

after a good run pull your plugs and check the color. A good running engine will have minimal deposits. A rich fuel air mixture will make your plugs black with excess carbon build up. White powdery plugs is too lean.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

Messing around with it, it appears to return to full closed with the control, so I guess that's not the issue. I'll hit it with some WD-40 just for good measure.. It did seem to be a little "draggy" if you know what I mean.

Forgot about the plug check trick. I'll find a day to deal with that here in the near future. Just ran it 100 miles and it's smooth and strong, so I guess I could have worse problems. Certainly doesn't act like it's running too rich. Weird.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.