Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently acquired 1985 GL1200A, (It had been sitting for two years).
Me: New starter, new Start solenoid, new battery, carbs pulled / cleaned / Randakk's rebuild kit, oil change and all I get is the click, click of the (new) solenoid. All fuses are good. Fresh fuel.
In other words, I'm throwing money at this thing and it's playing absolutely hard to get.
I had been riding it (lightly). But, there was a "flat spot" in the mid-range acceleration that was bugging me, so I pulled the carbs (which I'm getting pretty good at) for final clean and rebuild.
Nothing since.
I'm thinking of pulling the (new) starter (a not so fun job).
But, I'm no quitter.
Although, I'd hate to have to park it as a lawn ornament.
Thoughts?
Much appreciated.
Thanks.
Greg P.

·
Administrator
28,955 Posts
Did this happen before or after replacing those parts? If you used an aftermarket starter solenoid there's your problem.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was happening before I replaced the solenoid.
Tried the old "short the terminals" move.
Didn't get a response, or even any sparks.
That seemed weird.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,857 Posts
As Dave said, aftermarket parts can be a problem. Are you sure the "click" is coming from the solenoid?

Anyway welcome to the forum.

Somehow, some way, some day, we'll get you rollin' again. If not, we can help you with the lawn art.

Tire Bicycle Wheel Plant Bicycle tire

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, the click was the OEM solenoid, (put my fingers on it and pressed the start button, felt the click) which prompted me to replace it. I'm hoping to find the answer. Pluses: Prev. owner replaced the stator, timing belts and driveline maint. I'm not giving up yet. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got out my trusty test light and tracked power from the battery, through the solenoid, to the starter. Dash and headlight dims when I press the start button.
Power is there. Guess I'll be pulling the starter. It's new. Why would it fail?
Argh.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok. So I pulled the starter and it's toast.
Won't turn with power applied.
Can't even turn it by hand. Grinds. Argh.
Import knock off.
Any suggestion for a source of a reasonable cost, reliable starter?
Thanks. GP

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,857 Posts
OEMs are no longer available.
There's a rebuild kit available on Amazon, or you can take a chance with one of their starters. At least, you can usually return something there.
What happened to the starter that was on the bike?

·
Registered
899 Posts
Rebuild the OEM starter. Brushes are available. A good cleaning and new brushes should bring the original starter back to life. Had the same issue with a starter in 2016. Installed new aftermarket, failed in 4 months, replaced under warranty. rebuilt the original, installed it and it is still going strong.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts