Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

When I'm riding two up, the rear tire rubs on the inside top of the fender on the left side. I've removed the saddle bags and disconnected the shocks at the bottom to inspect.There's about 1/4"- 3/8" gap at the top on right side and virtually no gap on left side. I can't detect any looseness or movement in the swing arm, bearings or anywhere. I put a torpedo level on the brake disc and it appears the top of the wheel is tilted to left.I never had this problemuntil I replaced the rear tire about 1-1/2 years ago.If I'm thinking right,a person should be able to completely collapse the rear suspension and there should be clearance on both sides of thetire.I don't remember what tire was on it before but I think it was the same as this one. The current tire is a Dunlop elite II 491 MV85B15 M/C 77H.I even put a bottle jack on the left side under the swing arm and jacked it up as far as I dared, there is no change in the attitude of the wheel. So.........any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
imported post

First make sure that the tire size is the correct replacement for the bike. Secondly you just may have too much weight when riding 2 -up or either the rear shock tension needs to be adjusted for the weight conditions. Putting a jack under the swingarm will not duplicate the suspension traveling process because the impact (weight) of 2 riders hittingbumps will easily exceed that of the jack processby double. Check the rear shock setting and tire!

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
imported post

also make sure you have the max air pressure in your rear tire

·
Premium Member
1,624 Posts
imported post

Bike came with a Dunlop 150/90/15, 74H rated. Hope this helps. Tony:waving:

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

shouldn't happen unless maybe you shocks are shot... the 150 is a little big, but you should be able to give them enough air to cover that

my money is on the shocks... rebuilt mine a long time ago with a progressive kit and it is still available

as for the weight, unless you and the so are 500# each

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
imported post

rcmatt007 wrote:
the 150 is a little big, but you should be able to give them enough air to cover that
the 150/90-15 is the standard tire for the 1200;)

·
Premium Member
1,123 Posts
imported post

I had a tire rubbing the drive tube on my SE-i when I bought it. Turns out, the tire was very old and was growing fatter as it began to fail. I replaced it and had 1/2" clearance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.