Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I decided to pull my starter out due to starter drag on a warm engine. I put the m/c on the side stand and pulled the following items off:

starter cable

3 starter bolts

left engine guard

left front exhaust manifold pipe nuts (4)

left lower front fairing section

I tried to pull the left exhaust down, but it only dropped about 1 inch. I then loosened the 2 12mm bolts on the center left pipe connection. The left side still did not drop enough to get the starter out. I could get the starter to move forward out of the hole but the gear would not clear the motor hsg. A little oil came out once I loosened the starter.

I then took off the right 4 exhaust manifoldbracket pipe nuts and dropped it about 3/4". Unfortunately I had to also remove the right floorboard and brackets in the process.

I then was able to my surprise to completley drop the left front exhaust pipe to the floor, but the starter still did not clear.:X Dang. The exhaust manifold stud was keeping it from coming out. A little of WD-40 and channel locks (being carefull not to strip or mess up the threads) I unscrewed the stud and the starter came out!! :dude:

Finally the starter is out and I am done for the day. I washed up and cleaned my hands to send you guys this note. That stud made a big difference. The Clymer Honda Motorcycle Manual was wrong. You don't need to pull the motor out. I had no problems with the chain or gear. The chain and gear remained intact in the motor and the starter came right out....

Tomorrow I will take that starter in for a rebuild and hopefully this next week end get it back to get this honda running again w/out starter problems.

Hey Guys, thanks for all your input.

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

Awesome news so far! if the shop has a hard time finding parts to fit that starter, direct them to stocker starters in California. You can google it to get their web site & phone number. They are trustworthy. They sell parts or the whole starter!

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

yea removing the starter is such a pita.. you didn't had to pull the subframe but im glad you got that lazy starter out :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.