Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to balance my carbs using my carb tune meter. I can only find 3 instead of the usual 4 that is on my 84 gw. is there a hidden adjuster on the left side of the bike all I can find is 1 adjuster to adjust both number 2/4 cylinders the engine races and the mercury levels are completely out of whack.
When I got the bike the idle screw could not adjust the idle as the butterfly adjusters were completely into the carbs clockwise and too tight.
Can anyone help?

Thx gumby.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,320 Posts
Are you saying that one of the intake tubes has no vacuum port?
Or, are you saying there is no screw to adjust the carb?
On the left side, there is only one carb adjustment screw because the number 4 carb is the base. All others are set to that base carburetor.

If you had 4 adjustment screws on the '84 it most likely was because someone did a conglomerate carb set. Wasn't that the bike with a non matching head or something?

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you saying that one of the intake tubes has no vacuum port?
Or, are you saying there is no screw to adjust the carb?
On the left side, there is only one carb adjustment screw because the number 4 carb is the base. All others are set to that base carburetor.

If you had 4 adjustment screws on the '84 it most likely was because someone did a conglomerate carb set. Wasn't that the bike with a non matching head or something?
My number 4 is very high compared to the others it sits on the top of the scale while the other 3 are about 50% below that reading should they match?

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,320 Posts
My number 4 is very high compared to the others it sits on the top of the scale while the other 3 are about 50% below that reading should they match?
Yes, they should be even.
First, match the #2 carb to the #4.
Then match the #1 carb to the #3.
Then, match the #3 to the #4. Easy peasy.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
Yes they should match.
Start with the linkage between 2 and 4 and get them to match, you'll likely have to turn the idle screw in as you adjust the linkage.

Next adjust the linkage between 1 and 3 so that they match.

Then adjust the linkage between 3 and 4 so that they all match.

You'll probably have to go around a few times to get it corrected.

EDIT: Damn it Bike you're fast.:raspberry:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.