Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I've heard that there is a big issue with the stators on these bikes? I'm pretty good with tools. Is the stator an easy fix? Does the engine have to be removed from the bike?

I've purchased a CLYMER manual from J P CYCLES, and it seems that the engine needs to be removed from the bike? Has anyone ever changed the stator in another way?

I ride the bike a couple of hundred miles, and then I loose my lights / horn / and then eventially the bike won't start.

Is there anything else I should be looking at besides the stator?

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,195 Posts

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
imported post

yes the engine has to be removed. check the plug behind the left side cover to see if its burnt, melted, or dirty. are your lights getting brighter at around 2000rpm when you have it running

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
imported post

you can check the continuity between the three wires coming out of the stator and the engine if there is continuity between any of the wires and the engine the stator has too be changed

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
imported post

Yes. The engine does have to be removed. No other way around it. It will take alot of patience if you've never done it.

Here you can get all the manuals you'll need and their free. How long have you had the manual? You may be able to take it back.

We just replaced a stater on my brothers 1200 and now we are going to replace mine on an 1100. Tedious work but not too bad if you have a little know how and alot of patience. We are getting the staters from Electrisport. They seem to be pretty good for the money. About $139 as opposed to the Honda for $360.

Before you go tearing your engine out,make sure you test the stater and the rectifier/regulator. Better safe than sorry. You may get off easy and it could be the rectifier. All your readings and step by step instructions on testing are in the manual.

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
imported post

Installed GM alternator 11,000 miles ago on my 1200 i, best thing you can do to a old wing.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
imported post

For a 1200 you can get a kit from Dupli-Tech. I acctually spoke to them yesterday. They sware by it. I called for a kit for my 1100. They don't make one but they do for the 1200. It's about $600. Everything you need. The only mod you need to do is cut your right timing belt cover. If you want to go that route, that would be great. Leave your old stator where it is, install your alternator and your ready to go in a few hours. You can go to their web site www.dupli-tech.com and check it out. Take this into account. The alternator they have on the website in the first unit they made. The current kit has a smaller alternator. From waht they told me yesterday.

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
imported post

I'd sooner see the poor boy style (or not as the alternator is hidden behind the sidepanel). The Alternator on the web site you gave looks awfully exposed to the elements and will put extra strain on the cam belt on that side. The Poorboy version drives off the centre of the crank. It's a bit more work but far neater. stevef

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
imported post

Hi, Just had another look at that conversion. It seems the alternator is actually driven off the crank via a belt, so my comment regards straining the cam belt is irrelevant. It's a clever and easy conversion by the looks of it, but still looks a bit weird and surely the alternator needs some kind of cover from the spray off wet roads etc? Steve

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

thanks! I'm going too do the tests today, and will let you know what route I'll have to deal with.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
imported post

You can also call Dupli-Tech. Those guys are pretty cool. I think I spoke to the owner. He'll be more than happy to answer any questions you have.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
imported post

A little up date.. I talked to the guys at dupli tech. And after careful thought and worrying I went with them. I have a GL1100, they made me a kit from the parts I sent them. I want to thank them for working with me. They were vary helpful. Also a local motorcycle shop did all the work.. Presision cycle in sylva NC. Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
imported post

Changed three if I was closer Id help you,In a day and lunch of course..Motor has to come out not a hard job at all.....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.