Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

41 - 60 of 124 Posts

·
Restoration Guru
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)
16 Jan 2019

Not a whole lot today. I have been looking for mysterious alien sourced bulbs that Honda used in the dash, they are called out as no. 57. Very helpful. I finally found a cross-reference by size and ordered some, go figure they're actually Christmas tree light bulbs. At least now I know. They do work though. But other parts came in, including gasket remover and my water pump gasket set so I cleaned off the old schmoo and installed new gaskets and o-rings and put the front cover back on. Once it was there I verified that the gear position switch did in fact short the correct pins to ground in the correct gears. I also did a bit of cleaning and painting of the top of the engine.
Top of engine cleaned and painted by Uncle Grr!, on Flickr
Front cover cleaned, new gasket installed by Uncle Grr!, on Flickr

·
Restoration Guru
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #42 (Edited)
16 Jan 2019

I'm leaving the suspension as is for now, since both ends have air assist. I'll wait till the thing's actually on the road before I decide whether or not the shocks are done, although when I had them out oil leaked from the air fitting so it seems that if it came down to it I could drain, flush, and refill them. Not sure about the seat foam, I'll choose whichever seat feels the best between the primary and spare bike. I also have a new (8 year old BNIB) seat cover to install, which I may supplement with a heated seat pad because why not.

·
Restoration Guru
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #44 (Edited)
18 Jan 2019

Challenge the first. The rebuild kits I bought came with 102 main jets. Book calls for 108. Installed in the carbs was 105. Whiskey the Foxtrot? So I pull out the box of spare jets from carbs past and find that I have Dynojet 108 jets leftover from my FJ1200. I check the chart and find that the DJ108 is closer (but richer) to the KH108 than either of my other choices, so in they go. Technically the 105s are closer, but they're used and boogered up from some bubba torque installation. Challenge the next, the mixture screw will adjust but not come out. I finally decide to drill them out and find that previous bubba drilled through the caps rather than remove them, so there's still a sliver of cap in there. Drill all those out and everything's fine. Install all the new parts, set the mixture screws to 2.25 and the float bowls to 7.5mm.
All user serviceable parts removed by Uncle Grr!, on Flickr
Fully drilled out the mixture screw caps by Uncle Grr!, on Flickr

·
Restoration Guru
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #45 (Edited)

·
Restoration Guru
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #46 (Edited)
18 Jan 2019

The screws were ugly. I had a bag of stainless SHCS the right thread pitch but they were too long, so I had to cut, chamfer, and clean up 16 to the right length. Challenge the next is that one of the plenum cover screws was corroded in so previous bubba just ripped the cover off of it. I pulled what was left of the screw, drilled and tapped it to M6 and found a nice flanged bolt to go in to hold what's left of it down. Since I figured it's seal was compromised by the craptastic previous work I put a thin bead of silicone on the sealing edge before installation of the cover, then snugged everything down. Put a flashlight on the inside and looked for any light leakage, found none so I now assume a solid seal. Since my gloves were already dirty I carefully globbed some more silicone around the broken bit just to make it look less bad and provide another layer of protection just in case. Carbs are now largely done. Have to put the spider back on the bottom after that gets cleaned up, and wait for new throttle cables before the carbs can go in the good bike. Forgot to mention, all screws got a spot of antisieze upon reinstallation; that's the brownish color in the pic.
New stainless SHCS before and after shortening by Uncle Grr!, on Flickr
Plenum cover reinstalled. PO broke the front which required drilling and tapping to a larger size. by Uncle Grr!, on Flickr

·
Restoration Guru
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #47 (Edited)
19 Jan 2019

They're actually not that bad, it's just that they have a bit more linkage to deal with than most. If you don't split the carbs off the plenum, you don't have to mess with the linkage. Well it turns out that my new cables are wrong, so I took the cables off the donor and gave them lots of degrippant to get them freed up and installed them. Of note is that the choke cable I bought did mostly fit. The choke has a little plastic nub that registers into a depression in the housing to lock the choke on till you turn it off. The plastic that nub is on had lost all its spring so I ended up shimming behind it with some zip-tie pieces, now it locks onto choke with vim and vigor.
New cables too long, had to reuse cables from donor bike by Uncle Grr!, on Flickr

·
Restoration Guru
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #48 (Edited)

·
Restoration Guru
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #49 (Edited)
19 Jan 2019

Carbs installed. Of course this took much more work than just that, but you all know that by now. Scrubbed out/off the airbox, vaselined all the o-rings (in motorcycles, as in life; if it involves rubber, use lube) and tucked everything where it seems to belong. Then I figured why not; filled it with oil, hooked up the fuel pump electrical and fired it up. Actually went pretty well, but I only ran it for a couple seconds since I still haven't reinstalled the cooling system. I'll put all that back on tomorrow, then start on getting the body put back on. Should be road ready just in time for whatever the next polar bear vortex major stormpocalypse that gets the weather people in a twist.
Carbs back on, everything hooked up by Uncle Grr!, on Flickr

·
Restoration Guru
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #50 (Edited)
20 Jan 2019

Today was a good and frustrating day. The goal was to get the coolant system operational, run the bike and tune it. That eventually did happen, multiple times. Grabbed clamps from some spare 'wing radiators to replace the hose clamps some PO installed. Filled with coolant, fired the bike up and adjusted all the things. Idle drop, carb sync, etc. Starts, runs and idles nicely now. Vids in my Flickr. The challenges come from mostly my stupidity. I figured what the hell, lemme put it in gear and get the oil churned up. Extremely stiff shifter, something definitely not right. Since the only thing I messed with that could affect the shifting was the front cover, I pulled it off. Which of course means draining the coolant and oil. Oh well, it's probably a good thing, right? Front cover comes off and on more times than I'll care to admit, but I eventually figured out that the shift sensor was bent. Fixed that, reassembled it again, carefully chose oil by it being literally all the half empty bottles I had laying around in the barn, found out I had a quart of actual Honda mc coolant and a couple quarts of some other brand name mc coolant and filled it all,back up. Now the neutral switch usually works again, and the bike starts in neutral without the clutch. I assume the light will work also. Now all the hard mechanical bits are done, and hopefully tomorrow I'll get the body put on and start the clay/clean/polish/wax process on that! No pics because a running engine looks very much like a non-running engine, but like I said, the vids are on Flickr linked below.

·
Restoration Guru
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #51 (Edited)
21 Jan 2019

I had great intentions of awesome productivity today. Then I started working. So first I figured I'd put the body back on starting with the fairing. No problem, drops right in place. Actually did that yesterday so I could use the tach to set idle, but I didn't install any of the bolts. Today I did that, plus a few brackets, then decided to put the 'shelter' on. That's the bit that looks like a gas tank. Not so fast, once installed the front edge was crooked and the glove box door hit it when opening. Off it came for examination. Turns out that in the front between the halves is supposed to be a weird three-t shaped piece of rubber that is long since gone. Check the parts manual, google the number, it's no longer available anywhere. So I have to make something. I dig through my scrap sheet and find a bit of 1/16" ABS. Cut it down to about .5 x 3.5" and taper the edges to fit, and install it. Success! Kind of. The door still hit.
Shelter front filler strip v1. 1/16" ABS by Uncle Grr!, on Flickr
Shelter front filler strip v1 installed by Uncle Grr!, on Flickr

·
Restoration Guru
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #52 (Edited)
21 Jan 2019

So I remade it out of metal, and added a hook that goes over part of the shelter to pull it down. This also needed the edges tapered, then paint, etc. ended up having to pull the whole shelter to pieces to get everything adjusted how I want, and now I'm waiting on glue to dry that holds some of the rubber edging down. So I figured I'd do a bit more chrome polishing to get rid of rust.
Edit: for the record that's a finger in the reflection
Shelter front filler strip, v2 by Uncle Grr!, on Flickr
Carb cover before polish by Uncle Grr!, on Flickr
Carb cover after polish by Uncle Grr!, on Flickr

·
Restoration Guru
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #53 (Edited)
21 Jan 2019

I felt bad about my lack of productivity so I went back out to the barn and did something. Did a session of clay bar, rubbing compound, polishing compound on the shelter and installed it, plus some more of the fairing trim. As with the front fender, final polish and wax waits till I have the bike assembled. Pics are before, after, and installed.
Shelter before rubbing and polishing by Uncle Grr!, on Flickr
Shelter after first round of polish by Uncle Grr!, on Flickr
Shelter polished and installed by Uncle Grr!, on Flickr

·
Restoration Guru
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #54 (Edited)
22 Jan 2019

It's an older bike, warts and all, but I'm trying to bring back as much of the beauty as there is left. No real work on the bike today, but I tried a different set of LED Christmas light bulbs in the dash that are very slightly brighter than the last set. Also good news on the seat. I found that the company that made the seat cover included with the bike, bought 10 years ago, is not only still in business but were willing to send me a color swatch to compare. I'm ordering the matching backrest cover tonight!
Edit. Ordered! Posivibes, all hail, whatever it is the kids say nowadays to the cleverly named motorcycleseatcovers.com
Color match swatch for seat cover, matching backrest ordered by Uncle Grr!, on Flickr

·
Restoration Guru
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #56 (Edited)
25 Jan 2019

This is hours of work. Soft wire wheel in an air grinder, wd40, cup wheel in a cordless grinder. Everything was cleaned and polished as well as possible. However, any and all chrome that's not visible when the bike is assembled got a heavy coat of paste wax, with zero effort made to rub it down. That's why most of the chrome here looks dull.
Edit: humblebrag: I was halfway through the third rack when the grinder started to slow down and I thought that maybe the regulator was freezing again. Nope, I forgot to turn the compressor on after I unfroze the regulator, so I was running off stored air all that time. Yay enormous compressor!
Lots of work with a wire wheel, WD40 by Uncle Grr!, on Flickr
Wire wheel, WD40, polish. Thick coat of paste wax on all non-visible parts. by Uncle Grr!, on Flickr
Wire wheel, WD40, polish. Thick coat of paste wax on all non-visible parts. by Uncle Grr!, on Flickr

·
Restoration Guru
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #57 (Edited)

·
Restoration Guru
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #59 (Edited)

·
Restoration Guru
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #60 (Edited)
25 Jan 2019

I opened up the trunk light to fix whatever wiring problems I found, but as the pics show there's nothing salvageable there. I keep telling myself that just ripping it all out was enough, but I know myself better. I'll end up redoing it correctly, with LEDs and proper connectors and such. Just gotta figure out exactly how I want to do that. Oh well, that's something I can do later. I'll get back to work on the wing tomorrow. I did see the new sight glasses, they're even pretty reasonably priced! But that's a 'for later' upgrade, want to get it reroaded (love that word) before I get into buying purely cosmetic stuff. Also one thing my bike didn't have was the cross piece clamps that connect the two luggage racks behind the rear tire. I took the clamps off the parts bike, cleaned them up and found a broken bolt. Heated it up cherry red and it came right out with vise grips, and when I installed the new bolts I anti-seized them.

41 - 60 of 124 Posts