Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I have an 85 Limited with the Fuel injection system. Rode it to work (15 miles from house) to get some papers.

I parked in front, killed the engine using the kill switch as always, turned off the key and ran inside.

Came out within 10 mins and turned the key on , flipped the kill switch to run,and noticed the fuel and fuel system lights did not light.

Previously when I turned the key on to run, and had the kill switch on run, and with the engine not runing, the fuel light and fuel system light would come on brieflyto indicate the fuel injection system was powered and ready to go.

Now I get no lights when I turn the key to run. Thought the kill switch might be bad but when I have the key in and on run, and switch the kill switch to run, I hear the fuel pump energize so I know the kill switch is closing the circuit properly.

Checked the usual fuses under the fuel tank door. didn't find any bad fuses

Everything else on the bike powers up fine.

Turns over fine with the starter just won't start.

Does any one know of any "secret" fuses for the fuel injection system/computer anywhere else on the bike?

Or where I should start tracing wires from to look for bad connections?

I am hoping it is a simple wiring issue and not a compter problem.

Any advice or leads would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance for all your help.

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

Off the top of my head, i cant remember where, but i do seem remember wingsam or roscoepc talking about another fuse between the battery and fuse block...
Strange that the pump would kick on with ecu out. Are there any leds lit up on the ecu under the trunk?

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
3,527 Posts
imported post

Oh Boy I think this is gonna be an easy one!!! Welcome to the Site kkerr2kk, and here's what/where you need to check....

Located behind the starter selinoid on the left side of the battery is a 30amp dogbone style inline fuse that powers various electrical subsystems that are not found on the carb'd GL1200 like cruise control, the Travel Computer, the Auto Leveling function, and, you guessed it, the CFI computer!! Be aware that the fuse CAN appear to be good when in reality the fuse has gotten brittle with age and heat and cracked preventing the systems to not work.. Also, this fuse is the 2nd of 2, 30amp dogbonefuses, the first being the one that's located under a cover that's on the starter selinoid it'self and will fail eventually for the same reasons...

I replaced both fuses with new 30amp in-line fuse holders, 10ga wire, and have been good to go except one of the holders went bad... Cheap Radio Shack stuff I guess!!:cool:

If this is what's wrong and you want to go with new fuse holders Let us know and we'll fix ya up with some more info!!:coollep::coollep:

While we're at it.... How do those stator and regulator connectors look??? :cool:Yes, that's another problem area but it's easily repaired.....:coollep::coollep:

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
imported post

you will find that the 87's aspy have two dogbones too even though its carbed

think honda was just using up all the sei/ltd wiring harnesses,lol

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

Hold on a sec... Secondary dogbone may not be the issue here. kkerr2kk-In your 1st post you mention you can still hear your fuel pump energize-is that correct? If so dogbone may not be at fault.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Prolem Solved

Thanks to everyone for their help. Sorry for the late reply but have been quite busy working and trying to ride when I can.

When I had the problem last season I just trailed the bike home and stored it away for the winter. At the beginning of this season I pulled it out and started to try to trace wires to see where the problem may be. swapped different Circuit breakers from other circuits and wiggled some wires and it started to work. was thrilled I was back on the road so I put it back together and went for a ride . problem was I had my hands on to many things at once to figure out which CB or harness caused the problem.

Ran great for a couple of months then problem reoccured last week. Luckily at home in the garage. Took much more time to "test" one point at a time and look for results. Turns out there is a large connector that connects the wires from the CFI computer under the trunk to the fuse box. It can be accessed by removing the seat. I cleaned all the connectors and applied some dielectric grease and the problem is solved. I will try to post a picture when I can.

Also ran better. I believe the bad connections was affecting voltages that the computer was seeing so even when the connection was "good"enough to enable the fuel system, performance suffered due to degraded signls thru the connector to the computer.

Figured I would respond to thank everyone who replied and to share what I found with others.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.