Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Sorry, just realized this may be in the wrong section. but not sure if there is an easy way to move it over to general.

Anybody, know where I can find a 85 limited sunflash gold painted right lower faring cowl. Hit a deer on Jan 12, kept the bike up, deer smashed my right toe gbetween itself and the brake pedal. Ended up with a a cracked front fender and
a seriously smashed right lower. I have found a couple places with the part off of 86 sei's and if I dont find one in the next day or 2 I am just going to get one and "hopefully" find someone who is really good at mixing and matching paint.
Cant find sunflash gold just anywhere.

Anyway, just in case someone has an "extra" 85 limited cowl that is still painted original let me know.

Oh and why was out ridiing in central illinois on january 12. It was 64 degrees and the next day it was supposed to be in the 20's. I was "trying" to relax, so much for that theory. :(

bob evinger EMT-I marshall, IL
[email protected]

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
imported post

Revinger,

It's safer riding through your part of the world in the winter, as I've never tried to outrun and avoid as many supercells in my life going through there last summer. You guys recorded a fair chunk of damage last year. I was less than a day behind a twister that blasted through Wenona on my ride back from Florida.

Since it is your first post, allow me to welcome you to Steve's Place. The guys here are great and help at every opportunity. Might I suggest you put your location in on your profile, it definitely helps those who want to help you, despite the fact that you did indicate where you're from on this thread. Plus it will save you from REDWING yelling at you, he quite often gets cranky and he isa conspiracy theorist. There are alot of American members and I'm quite sure you will receive suggestions for your search for an appropriate cowl.

Kyle

My hair's turning white, my neck's always been red, and my collar's still blue

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
imported post

Bob, that sunflash gold is very easy to get matched in auto paint shops. I know PPG for a start will match it very easily. They don't have a swatch for it but it's easy to work with and find a proper match anyway.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Well I ended up ordering from color-rite. I have a local PPG store and they gave a very good try but could not quite get it right. They actually sent me to color-rite. Cost me almost twice for the paint as what the part that I had to paint cost but I now have hopefully a lifetime supply of touchup paint.

My bike is now back to very close to its PDH status. PDH = Pre Deer Hit.

bob

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

Bob, The life time supply of paint you have won't last as long as you think. If you mixed it with thinners already then it will start to shift colour a bit after a year or two. So when you spray another panel it will look different. That's why auto paing shops throw away the leftover tims of paint every six months. If the paint you have hasn't been mixed with thinners yet then it will last much longer. :D

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
imported post

Brian is right about the paint. If you still have some in the can that isn't mixed with thinners already it will last much longer and still match perfectly in a few years.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.