Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

when driving i am smelling gasoline,do not see anything, any suggestions of tracking a leak on this fuel injected system.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

see if it coming out the tailpipes. also check see if fuel lines are tight and no cracks.. does it run any different? we need little more info

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

new to me not sure how it is supposed to run. I am still trying to find out what is draining the battery and why it only reads 13 v when driving but thats on another topic. only ridden around 7 times still learning but as my van burned up on fwy this my transportation till insuance settles.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

saltmar14 wrote:
new to me not sure how it is supposed to run. I am still trying to find out what is draining the battery and why it only reads 13 v when driving but thats on another topic. only ridden around 7 times still learning but as my van burned up on fwy this my transportation till insuance settles.
Hey Saltmar,

Welcome to the forum. For finding a draw you can disconnect the neg cable of your battery and check for current flow by using a test light or multi-meter set to amps. Do this by placing one meter lead or one end of test light on cable that is disconnected and the neg post that it attches to. Post results here.

You may or may not have an actual draw. You could just have poor charging or even a faulty battery. All the 1200's have issue with the stator wiring. While this is a topic that is mentioned very often I'd say it's worth mention every time. Start with the 3 yellow wires as they emerge from the stator just forward of the battery there is a white connector with the 3 wires. Unplug and or check this carefully - it may be burned or corroded or both. The fix for this is to solder the 3 wires together wire for wire eliminating the connector entirely. If this hasn't been done do it immediately. There are also 2 more connectors up under the shelter that are the regulator pigtail connectors and 1 more hiding up there on the frame by the regulator.

Start with the most notorious one by the battery and post the results of your findings so we can keep track of what's been done.

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

Nice bike, puts mine to shame on the cosmetic end. For the fuel:

Pull the right side cover and check the petcock, my LTD, Aspencade, and Shadow all leaked at the face of the petcock.

Next, follow the lines from there to the pump, and up to the filter/injection housing, then check the seal from the injectors to the manifold.

Assuming all that is good, it could be even simpler than a leak, pull the gas cap and check the seal, then pull the seat and check the seal on the sending unit, possibly the sending unit itself. Being an injected bike, the tank is under at least some pressure, so if you got bad seals somewhere the smell will come out.

Hope that helps

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
imported post

A 13v reading on your dash is fine. That reading is truly not accurate anyway. If you put a meter to it is probably putting out 14+. I have read 12.9 to 13.3 for years and when checked with a meter it shows around 14v.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

I have an 85 LTD and once in a while, I get a gas smell too, drove me nuts for a while, till I heard the gas cap let off steam one time when we stopped for gas and I had the top open getting ready to take the gas cap off. It hissed, I would say a little bit but it was enough to catch my attention and pull my hand back, but right then, I got that gas smell, then it was gone. I have read that the tank is pressurized to some extent, and I think when parked and the heat builds a little, more pressure builds inside the tank and it releases through the cap.

My volt meter hangs in the 13.6 to 13.7 range, once I had seen it go to 13.8. My battery is weak, if I run the acc position with the radio on, it will be dead in about 10 minutes or less. Just starting the bike, I can see the volt meter drop to 9.6, but as soon as it starts it goes to 13.6. Can't say what your issues would be with that, but maybe someone can offer some help on that.

·
Premium Member
1,221 Posts
imported post

My LTD reads 13.5 to 14.3 vary's with rpm checking accuracy of volt meeter is a good idea as far as fresh gas odor i had it to I replaced all rubber vaccum and fuel line a lot of rubber specialy under plennum and all seems to be cure runs fine now its been a week i will keep ya posted

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

I wouldnt assume the voltmeter is bad on your bike-it may be reading completely accurate. Good Idea to check if it co-incides with the voltage read at battery with meter but it may be exactly the same. 13Volts may be acceptable at idle but once you start moving it should roll up pretty close to 14V and even a little higher. More than likely bike still has some connectivity issues in the stator wiring. Fix it sooner than later. Riding longer than you normally do will further test any faulty connections allowing them to overheat.

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

honda mech. believes smell comming from presure releaseas it is extremely hot in Vegas now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.