Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

the bike is new to me, when shifting into 1st and 2nd there is a heavy clunk and when sitting with engine off it is difficult to get into neutral or shift at all. the previous owner replaced the shifter with a toe heal and foot plate. is this normal for this bike.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
imported post

Yep, that's pretty typical. With the engine off, they are all hard to shift as they need to be able to sync. As for the heavy clunk... Not much you can do about getting into 1st, but you'll find that if you preload the shifter before pulling the clutch and with a quick blip of the throttle, you will all but eliminate any clunks while up shifting.
Webby/Rick

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

The clunking comes standard I think on all LTD's and in all gears. Most of it has to do with technique, which If I really think about shifting, I can change a gear.... Reasonably well about 30% of the time.

I have read that certain oil will help quiet the clunking noice, dello 400 from Wally World was one that some like, that Im going to try next. Im running Honda oil now, with no good benefits for shifting.

I have also read the heal to toe shifter makes it increasingly harder to get good shift control (my wording), it's just more difficult I guess. I don't have a heal to toe but have thought about it. How does it hook up? The shift rod comes out under the head of the engine? Do you have any close up pics you could share of that set up?

Work on technique.... I make sure that I have realeased the throttle all the way, sucked in the clutch, loaded the shifter with a little pressure, then shift with one solid movement..... Again, it works 30% of the time..... But for some reason, never in 4th gear!

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

I got rid of the heel and toe shifter and floorboards shortly after buying my LTD, and replaced them with stock pegs and shifter and brake pedal. Wow, what a difference. Suddenly the bike felt 300 pounds lighter, and handled and shifted much better. As for the clunk, that is normal for most bikes. I don't like it, and always leave my bike in gear when parked and at stop lights, and always start it in gear with the clutch pulled in. Only time it's ever in neutral is when I am warming it up, or pushing it around. Motorcycles do not have a synchronized transmission like a manual shift car, you have to match road speed and engine speed to get smooth shifts. I have found that when shifting and moving slow, slightly preloading the shifter and blipping the throttle will usually get it to go right in without a clunk. Once you have parked in neutral, and let it set for a few seconds, then shift into first, you have one gear moving and one gear not moving, and they clunk when the gear dogs mesh together. Using a little finesse while shifting will result in much smoother shifts, but shifting into first from neutral while stopped will still almost always result in a clunk. My solution is just not to do it.

·
Premium Member
3,318 Posts
imported post

The LTD I used to own would give a clunk when shifting into first also. It did it fresh from the showroom with less than a mile on it. Only got worse as it aged. It may have been a little louder than the previous Goldwings I had owned but not much. They all did it. However, my present 1500 shifts into first gear with just a snick. Best shifting transmission I have ever seen on a Goldwing. I guess all the tolenances fell into the right place on that one. Anyway, just about all the Goldwings will sound clunky shifting into first from a stop.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

When I first got my SEi shift was awkward with Heel-toe and floorboards, much better with stock pegs. Just my 2 cents but bike is made for pegs IMHO.

P.S.
It's "heel/toe", "heal/toe" is what you do after you stub it!...

:ROFL:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.