Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

how do i remove the L E honda name plate off the window trim panel with out ruining it ? There are two bolts under it that hold the trim in the middle and allow it to tilt open. they came loose and almost lost the bracket, need to remove logo and install bracket and reinstall logo. what do i reinstall it with? thanks Mark

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

Good question. I had my windshield trim off to get to the headlight, and I remember looking at that, because I was considering painting that panel due to corrosion and discoloration. I don't remember how it was exactly now, but I do remember I couldn't figure out how to get it off. Cheapcycleparts and bikebandit still sell some of the old Goldwing emblems, my right sidecover emblem is missing, and CCP had it, for about $25

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

some photos of the proublem

Attachments

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

cant get two photos on one post

Attachments

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

Oh yeah, now I remember, but still don't know. I remember thinking how odd it was that there were screws on the back, but not on the front. Did the threads strip out? I couldn't figure out how to get the screws out. Is the emblem still tight, or is it loose?

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

screwthreads good just vibrated loose. emblem tight. i think i will replace with bolts atatched on otherside so i wont have problem in future, just need to get emblem off.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

Well let me tell you a bit about the windshield garnish as it's called. The problem with the finish is usually in the clearcoat. If it hasn't been scratched or sanded yet just strip with chemical stripper, wipe off old clear (comes off easy) and then polish a bit and re-clear. You can always justpolish thealuminum. There are guys on this forum that can get it to look like chrome.I tried but am not that talented so settled for the stock look. Problem is it scratches very easily with clear removed so once stripped use only a soft rag and polish gently before clearcoating. If you sand it at ALL you will have to sand entire thing with progressively finer and finer paper to get the stock look.

Emblem is justheld on with double stick tape just use fishing line or the like get it underneath and remove it using a sawing motion.

Also you can fix up the look of the emblems with gold electroplate (brush plating)...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

thanks give it a try. Mark

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

where would i get double side tape that strong and long lasting?

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

3M makes it. If you have a bodyshop nearby ask if they can spare some.

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

thanks

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

thanks

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Emblem removed, added lock washers and lock tight to bolts and used 3m tape to reinstall. Thanks for all the help, Mark

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Emblem removed, added lock washers and lock tight to bolts and used 3m tape to reinstall. Thanks for all the help, Mark

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.