Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Ijust got my stator wires all soldered together and replaced thereg/rec hopefully it solves my electrical proublems. New proublem, the last two times i filled up my bike would'nt start, it fires up for a sec but acts like it's out of gas.Still over 1-2 gal in tank.I'm new to fuel injection could it be vapor lock as it's hot here?If i let it sit about10 min it starts. Also might cut out a little while driving. Whitch fuel is recommended reg., supr?

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
imported post

saltmar14 wrote:
Ijust got my stator wires all soldered together and replaced thereg/rec hopefully it solves my electrical proublems. New proublem, the last two times i filled up my bike would'nt start, it fires up for a sec but acts like it's out of gas.Still over 1-2 gal in tank.I'm new to fuel injection could it be vapor lock as it's hot here?If i let it sit about10 min it starts. Also might cut out a little while driving. Whitch fuel is recommended reg., supr?
listen for the fuel pump when you turn the ignition on, if its running you likely have a electrical part heating up, these bikes run just fine on 87 octane, no need for 89 or 93, only time i run anything other than 87 is if i left it sit for longer than 2 weeks, then i will run some 114 racing fuel through it, cleans injectors really well,,,, or at least it seems to, smells good too

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

It is not vapor lock. That is impossible with a fuel injection system. The system operates under high pressure, and the fuel pump forces fuel through the injectors when the computer opens them. If it has ever run right, I would eliminate the injectors from consideration, they don't tend to fail all at once. When you turn the key on, the fuel pump should come on fro a few seconds to pressurize the system, then shut off until after the engine starts. When you hit the starter button, the computer starts operating the injectors, injecting fuel directly into the manifolds. I would check the fuel pump and filters first. Oh, and just because it's easy, I would also check for any trouble codes on the ECU mounted underneath the trunk. See if any of the red LEDs are flashing. The engine needs to be running.

Fuel injected bikes have their own set of problems, but they are very different from carbs. If it had carbs, I'd say the carbs were all gummed up from setting.

One issue I hate to even bring up, because it is such a major problem, due to parts not being available, is a vacuum leak in the reed valve system that controls the idle and low speed operation. My hoses were all rotted, and I had vacuum leaks all over the place, including the valves themselves.

This is NOT the reed valve emissions control system, which the bike does not need, it is an entirely separate system. Listen for a chirping sound while the engine is running.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

Not to change the thread topic but I see Jerry h changed his profile pic, nice to put a face to the name. I had visualized you as a skinny little rufien. I guess since I see your not, I won't pick on ya......

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

I know the book says you can't let it get below one gallon or you get air in the system, and I have proven that to be true. Pop off the seat and pull the sending unit and take a look at the intake screen, if it's clean, pull the feed line off the back of the pump and check that little mesh screen in the tube. other than that????????

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

whent to local powersports bar b q and bikini wash, i think i can see a smile on my bikes face.
the service guy says the starting proublem is common here in Vegas whith the extreme heatthis time of year. He says not to fill tank over 3/4 till it cools down, he also feels the gas smell while driving is tank pressure release from the heat. i still will chck filters and lines.

the tank hase'nt gotten below 1 1/2 gallons.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.