Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

when excelerating lately i'm getting what sounds like pinging especially when excelerating in traffic or a grade. any ideas?

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,751 Posts
imported post

Could be carbon build up.

Running high octane fuel can cause excessive build up and running the engine too slow, like around town, can too.

Combine those two, and...

My bike used to always ping on Chevron. I never knew why.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

Could also be too much ignition advance. That is controlled by the same computer that controls the fuel injection, using information from the same sensors, in this case mainly the throttle position sensor and camshaft angle sensor. You will need an '84-'87 service manual and an LTD/SEI supplement to troubleshoot it.

While running high octane fuel in a low compression engine can cause carbon buildup, if that occurs, you compression may now be higher, to to less space in the combustion chamber, and high octane fuel may actually help solve the problem. Also make sure it is not overheating. But the usual cause of pinging under load is too much ignition advance.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
imported post

Yes I agree that running too low of an octance for fuel, the engine running warmer than normal, or lugging the engine will all make it ping. Run the engine slightly higher in rpm and it may not ping. If that model has a tempature gauge see if it's running higher than normal; could be low on coolant, thermostat is sticking closed, or if sitting in traffic for a while the fan may not be coming on. If the engineburns oil it could have access carbon built up in the combustion chamber and that will make it ping also. The timing should not have changed unless something wore out or some timing related part got moved and replaced. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
3,785 Posts
imported post

In the Vegas heat I'd try running in a lower gear around town in city traffic. With the interstate and 4-lane grand-prix out there it seems like everyone wants to get up to 70mph yesterday... :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

PO saiys he only used premium fuel and put 1-2 tablespoons of stp jet cleaner and never had pinging proublems unless he used cheap gas or lower octain.

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
3,485 Posts
imported post

I've run Premium gas in mine since I've got her running when she had 17,000 miles on her and never had a ping or rattle.. I've tried regular when I couldn't get premium and she tells me right quick she doesn't like it!!!!:shock:And being as the bike get's around 45mpg I don't mind the extra bit of expense. I've been told that my engine is carboned up but as low as the mileage is, (and most were on the Interstate), I don't think so. But I am gonna run some Seafoam through the intake and try some regular one dayjust to see if that helps any...:cool:

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
imported post

roscoepc wrote:
And being as the bike get's around 45mpg I don't mind the extra bit of expense. But I am gonna run some Seafoam through the intake and try some regular one dayjust to see if that helps any...:cool:
That TEARS IT! You told me you got 50 miles to the gallon! If you weren't so far away I'd ride over there and braid your ears!

Actually, Ros has a good idea. Not using seafoam, everyone knows. But using seafoam to specifically clean the intake system. I recommend an I.V. (not the roman numeral 4, Roscoe) bottle with a drip feed to the intake ports. Hold the idle around 1500 rpm and you can feed as much as as little mystery juice as you want.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

I ran premium in mine for the first couple of tanks because thats what the PO of my sons bike (Honda Shadow ACE) told us he always ran, and we filled up together so I just used high test..... Neither bike ran well, so we switched to the cheap stuff with some seafoam for a couple of tanks, in both bikes and they run much better. My son's bike is a little cold blooded for the first couple of minutes but 1 block down the road and he's fine. I have fuel injection so Im good to go from the start!

·
Premium Member
3,485 Posts
imported post

glhonda wrote:
roscoepc wrote:
And being as the bike get's around 45mpg I don't mind the extra bit of expense. But I am gonna run some Seafoam through the intake and try some regular one dayjust to see if that helps any...:cool:
That TEARS IT! You told me you got 50 miles to the gallon! If you weren't so far away I'd ride over there and braid your ears!
Actually I've told you that I've gotton 50.1mpg on the interstate with the cruise set...:cool:The 45mpg I statedis my average local and interstate... Also my ears aren't big enough to braid.. at least not until the swelling of my head goes down from the last time I was right.....:coollep::coollep::coollep:

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

what are you doing to get that mpg on your limited? I'm only getting about 32.

·
Premium Member
3,485 Posts
imported post

Actually I couldn't name any one thing other that she was kept up REALLY good by the PO... The one bad thing he did was park her for about 7 years. Other than that it's just keeping her in a good state of tune: plugs, engine balance, etc.....

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

saltmar14 wrote:
The LTDs seem to get lousy mileage. I was getting about 35, but found a problem with the fuel injection system. It took about 3 weeks to fix that, as I had to make some of my own parts to replace "discontinued" ones. The engine runs a LOT better, but I still have not ridden it. I decided to go ahead while working on it, and tear the rear end apart and clean and lube all the splines. That's when I found the wheel/bearing problem, and spent another 3 weeks getting that taken care of. I've got it mostly back together now, but still need to rebuild the rear caliper. Then hopefully I should be able to ride it again.

While I was still riding it, I was using regular gas, and didn't notice any pinging. The pinging on an LTD could be due to a faulty sensor, or ECM, as that is what controls the ignition advance.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

Im getting 45 to 47 with mine, 43 if I ride 2 up.

I switched to Iridium plugs which helped the mileage a little, use 2 stroke oil in the gas which helped a little, and the rest is maintenance issues, Fresh filters, air pressure in the tires etc... Every little bit help bit helps.

My son has a Honda ACE, 750 and when he got it, the PO said it gets about 30 to 32 MPG. After doing some maintenance things we are hitting 52 with his now.

·
Premium Member
3,485 Posts
imported post

JerryH wrote:
saltmar14 wrote:
The LTDs seem to get lousy mileage.

You're right Jerry.. A 45mpg average IS pretty crappy... Guess I'll have to see what's wrong with mine....:blackstuff:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.