Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

back in July when i first recieved my bike a mech. at one of the local dealers told be there was a little play in my steering column, said it would be about 6oo.00 plus to fix.

i just looked on line and a bearing set is around 40.00.

questions:

1. how can i test for myself? he said to get up to about 45 mph and take my hands off and i would feel it, tried but not comfortable doing that. any other ideas?

2.changing bearings,is this something a novice can or should tackle? THANKS!

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,576 Posts
imported post

Stay away from that place.

Most 'Wings will go into a decel wobble if you take your hands off the bars. With 37K miles, I doubt your bearings are worn out. You can test them though.

With the bike on the center stand, have someone sit on the back seat to elevate the front wheel. Move the bars left & right feeling for a "notch". Also get in front of the bike and push & pull on the forks. You are looking for movement in the head itself.

·
Senior Something
13,270 Posts
imported post

It's not too hard to do yourself. The manual would help tell you what to look for.
I did mine with no bike experience. But I've done alot of wheel bearings on autos.

Turned out the bearings and races were fine, just needed to be cleaned and repacked. The grease dries out.

The fork has to come out, so you need to support the bike. easier to do if the front tire is off, and you want to loosen the steering stem nut before hand.

I'm sure you will get plenty of help from the others here.

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
imported post

My LTD has 53,000 miles now, at a rally I had one of the vendors check mine, because I had a wobble on occasions, upon closer inspection, my front tire was separating (dunlop with less than 1500 miles) after replacing, wobble gone, and it runs straight and true. I doubt seriously that the bearings need replacing, possibly tightened, which is all the vendor did on mine, but the issue was not resolved, until the tire was replaced. I was quoted 200 in labor plus the bearings, and as it was it cost me 100.00 plus a tire.

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

You could try just torquing the nut down. Now, if you torque the nut and then feel a notchyness, then you may need bearings, but $600 is nuts. A local shop here that isn't known for great pricing quoted me $400, torquing the nut solved it though (after replacing the tires and making sure the air was full on the suspension of course).

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

I agree, stay away from that shop. Which shop was it?

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

newday, it was ride now on boulder hwy.

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

Yeah, I've dealt with ride now a few times, when they don't wanna do it (which happens a lot with older and/or europeanbikes) they just quote stupid amounts of money.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.