Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well you guys got me on track and got my starter fixed and bike running. Went ahead and changed belts, brake and clutch fluids, tires, and greased the drive shaft and ujoint. Final drive oil changed also. Put bike back together, hooked up saddlebag light harnesses and the right side bag lights are on. Key off and the red and yellow lights are on. Turn key on and they do not respond to brake or signal input.
Looked in my supplement book under troubleshooting but could not find right side saddlebag lights on constant with key off.
Anyone take a guess on the cause?

I don't think this was the case before all the work but really can't say I paid attention to those lights before all the disassembly.

I do know this, getting the driveshaft back into the ujoint had me speaking a new language not suitable for other people to be around while speaking it.

·
Administrator
26,567 Posts
Do the other lights function normally?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All the other lights work as they should.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Go back to the beginning, I'd take the right side bag off again and put back on. Possibly a bent pin in the connector. The u-joint spline connection is a treat isn't it!:cool:

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
Picking up on Redmax idea. Is it possible the connector is rotated 180 degrees and worn or forced together?

·
Administrator
26,567 Posts
Picking up on Redmax idea. Is it possible the connector is rotated 180 degrees and worn or forced together?
But there should be no power in the rear light connectors with the switch off.

Reactions: BadMonk's1200

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's my thought too Dave. Why is there power to that connector with the key in the off position?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's my thought too Dave. Why is there power to that connector with the key in the off position?
The only things unhooked toward the front of the bike was the trip computer plugins so I could remove the shelter.

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
But there should be no power in the rear light connectors with the switch off.
The only things unhooked toward the front of the bike was the trip computer plugins so I could remove the shelter.
I thought about the power but I am not personally familiar with the LTD. I thought maybe it had power for a trunk light etc. that ran through that area??? Just a wild guess. :unsure: :p

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tried to do some troubleshooting and strange thing happens. It is the white six pin connector that goes to the saddlebag harness. Plugs in as it should and still have the same problem BUT when I plug the connector together the radio volume doubles. Noticed a sound would come from the front speakers whenever I would plug the connector together so turned the radio on for grins, plugged the connector together, and the volume on the radio at least doubles.
Strange.
Grounding issue perhaps?
Still doesn't explain why there is power to the connector with the key turned off.

The search continues.

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
3,486 Posts
I thought about the power but I am not personally familiar with the LTD. I thought maybe it had power for a trunk light etc. that ran through that area??? Just a wild guess. :unsure: :p
Mophead, Mike is correct in that there is a wire going to the trunk for the trunk light AND it is Hot all the time, even with the key off.. I don't have access to my manuals to look at a schematic but if you do, check to see what the color wire that is and find it to make sure it's hooked up correctly. A further thought is to try turning the trunk light on to see if it works???

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,197 Posts
my 2002 gl1800 has a LED trunk light that has power all the time.
it once ran the battery down because it was inadvertently turned on in daylight and I didn't notice that....

the bike sat for a few days, probably 3 weeks and would not start. Caused me to start looking for 'odd things' and it took me opening the trunk at night and noticing the light is "already on" to figure out the problem.

Installed a Battery Tender connection, stuck it out thru the fairing grill on the left side, that fixed the "problem" until I really found out what it was.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Checked the wiring on my '85 FI regarding the trunk light and right saddlebag. The right saddlebag wiring connector connects to the wiring harness on the left side under the seat. The trunk light wiring is in the right side wiring harness. The two do not come in contact with the other under the seat, maybe in the wiring harness somewhere else, but highly unlikely.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Checked the wiring on my '85 FI regarding the trunk light and right saddlebag. The right saddlebag wiring connector connects to the wiring harness on the left side under the seat. The trunk light wiring is in the right side wiring harness. The two do not come in contact with the other under the seat, maybe in the wiring harness somewhere else, but highly unlikely.
Thank you sir!! There are two white six pin connectors (one left and one right) and I had them plugged in to the wrong corresponding brake light/trunk light connectors. Reversed the connections and all is well.
I should pay more attention on disassembly.

·
Registered
736 Posts
No worries. I have mine stripped apart to do an engine rebuild and new paint. Taking things apart you start to wonder if you will ever get it back together again. Trick is to have no spare parts at the end, especially internal engine parts. Cheers

Reactions: hitecluddite

·
Registered
1993 GL1500 Aspy 1980 GL1100 STD
863 Posts
" Hey - I've got a crankshaft left over... Where's that supposed to go? ".... 🤣 o_O

·
Registered
736 Posts
" Hey - I've got a crankshaft left over... Where's that supposed to go? ".... 🤣 o_O
Depends if it's the left or right side in the engine case!:cool:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts