Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

After researching many of the previous threads I am replacing the fuel pump on my 85 Ltd. with an Airtex E8000 pump. If I am thinking correctly Airtex and the Master brand pumps are the same. When I got it home, (of course I forgot to take the original pump with me) it is smaller around than the original pump. Do I have the correct pump? If so how would you install it in the original bracket to secure the pump? I will replace the cone filter in the line. What else do I need toreplace while I am doing this? Does anyone have a part number for the filter replacement? Thank you for all the help andpatience this great site has given to bumblers like me.

·
Premium Member
3,634 Posts
imported post

The original pump is bigger as it was insulated and the E8000 is not. I had a problem with the E8000 after about a year with vapor locking when traveling low speeds for extended periods of timeor it was extremely hot (100+) outside.

Iwrapped some heat resistant insulation (like for exhaust pipes) around it to build it up to the diameter of the original and then the original brackets work fine and took care of the vapor locking issue.

:cheeky1:Dang.....posted this under the wife's account:cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
3,634 Posts
imported post

:cheeky1::cheeky1:YEAH....What she said!!:cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

Well then thats two votes for the insulation. The trouble you said you were having is what I have going through for the last couple years. Including it being in the shop for nine months for this trouble. So you think the insulation helps to keep the heat out of the pump? Does the pump itself generate heat that needs to be dissipated. Did you change you change the canister filter too? If so what filter did you use??

Jack

·
Premium Member
3,634 Posts
imported post

The insulation keeps the heat out of the pump. The fuel keeps the pump cool. The canister filter was changed later, I used the OEM filter because of the pressures the pump runs at.

·
Premium Member
3,634 Posts
imported post

Those will work great for the non-FI engines. But the LTD and SE-i are the only 2 fuel injected 1200's and require a filter that will withstand the pressure of the fuel pump, hence the metal cannister style filter.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Snorebaby wrote:
:cheeky1::cheeky1:YEAH....What she said!!:cheeky1::cheeky1:
Way to go Doug!!!!:D:D:D:D:D:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.