Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

My gl has been sitting for 6 months or so and I am noticing a lot of smoke now.\\Also the lifters are noisy for about 2 or 3 mins.

Is there any thing I can do to remedy this short of new rings?

The rings may have stuck since it had set up a few yrs before i got it.

I bought it as a project and did the procedure for slowly reviving the engine.

Can anyone recommend an additive that might help without damaging the cyl.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

there is a product by seafoam to free sticky rings, use it through the plugs holes and let it sit check walmart. others might recommend MMO also.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

Yep Seafoam or MMO in the gas and crankcase. You can also use it in the cylinders like William_86 says. When used in the crankcase ride it gently for ~200 miles and then change the oil.
More than likely you'll find that the more you ride the less it'll smoke.

·
Premium Member
546 Posts
imported post

Transmission fluid is also a good remedy for your problem. You probabaly have dirty oil deposits that hardened while it sat unused. Trans fluid has a tremendous amount of detergent in it. You can replace one quart of your oil with a quart of trans fluid and run for an hour. Then drain and refill with oiland change filter.Also you can drain all the oil and fill the entire engine with trans fluid and let it sit for at least a week. Then drain it and replace Fluid and filter. These are remedies that a Honda dealer gave me.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

Have you tried riding it a few miles to see if the smoke stops? If it does then you might just be getting startup oil burn from age hardened valve seals.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,963 Posts
imported post

My bike is over 18. That is the legal age to smoke in this state so I just let it do what it wants.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.