Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am in need of a shock rebuild on my 85 LTD.With solo riding it is fine, but with 2up I feel that I am riding uphill and we bottom out sometimes. I have 94lbs. of air in the rear before the passenger gets on (I usually ride with about 80 in the rear and 10 in the front) and I checked it before taking off and there was 117lbs in the rear. I have read the posts on the shock rebuild and I still have some questions.

1) Will just replacing the seals and oil help?
2) Will I have to replace the dampening cylinder also?
3) Is there a spring in the LTD shocks that I may need to replace? The microfiche does not show one.
4) Should I use 15w or 20w fork oil?
5) Will the rebuild allow me to run a lower pressure setting when solo?
6) Do I really need to take the trunk off?

I am gonna replace the check valves and o-rings when I rebuild them also as the air leaks out slowly over time.

Got a Honda Manual to go use but it doesn't address the LTD. All the LTD Manual says is that it has check valves. And Clymer's says let Mother Honda do it.:p

Thanks and welcomingall advice!

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
imported post

i rebuilt the rear shocks on my LTD. there are check valves on the shocks, but there isnt much there (ust a ball bearing and a spring) the springs inside can be replaced by progressive units (i did this on mine) as for the fluid, i kept it with ATF. i went from needing 100 psi in the rear (with blown seals) to needing almost nothing while riding 2up. to do this cost bout 60 bucks and 3 hrs time. there is also the option of going with progressive shocks, this will cost you about 400 bucks, and 2 hrs to swap.
the damping cylinder can be replaced (by a proressive unit, search my posts for details) but i found this unnecisary. I didnt need to take my trunk off, but the saddlebags need to be pulled (obviously) replacing the seals and oil may help, but I wouldnt guarantee it. the springs are still 25 yrs old. I would pop for the new springs, you will be pulling the seals anyways, why not take the extra hour to replace the springs. any questions, just ask.

·
Premium Member
3,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks ScottInNV! I was hoping I wouldn't have to take the trunk off!

Do you have the part number for the springs? I would like to replace them also if it will help. I will do a search on your posts to see if you happen to put it in there.

Thanks again for the quick response. Gonna order the seals today.

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
imported post

Another option is progresive mechanical shocks. The ride is slightly stiffer but in my opinion much more secure feeling in the twistys. I got tired of working on the air ride system on my LTD. These run about 200

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.