Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Thanks to all for the comments. Before I order the NS sensor I decided to change the plugs which visually needed to be done and I changed the Air Filter. As mentioned bike was running and idling fine but would sputter and die after traveling home from work 30 miles, same spot every time. Once engine cooled down would start right up and run fine. Well...........after FINALLY getting to the air filter and replacing it, the bike idles rough and dies. I must have pinched something off when re-installing it. Have checked and rechecked all connectors and hoses. Did notice a vacuum hose about 2.5 inches long just hanging loose forward of the fuse box. Need some help. Maybe I should have left well enough alone! Like I mentioned was starting and idling like a champ before I messed with the air filter. Help

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
imported post

Hi, on my GL1200 Aspy there is a vacuum line that goes into the ignition control unit which is seated just forward of the fuse box. Im not sure exactly what it does but my guesses are that it has a sensor that measures the vacuum in the carbs, i had the same kind of symptoms when i removed my carbs for cleaning and i forgot to reconnect that tube to the ICU after it was connected the bike would idle, she did before but she would cut out after a minute or so. The tube connects to a T junction the n one end is capped the other goes to the ICU. Hope this helps or i may be babbling about some thing completely different!

Im also guessing your bike is a CA model which mine is so unless its on all the models it may only be on the CA model with all its emission controls etc.

Ali

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
imported post

Winger in San Diego wrote:
Thanks to all for the comments. Before I order the NS sensor I decided to change the plugs which visually needed to be done and I changed the Air Filter. As mentioned bike was running and idling fine but would sputter and die after traveling home from work 30 miles, same spot every time. Once engine cooled down would start right up and run fine. Well...........after FINALLY getting to the air filter and replacing it, the bike idles rough and dies. I must have pinched something off when re-installing it. Have checked and rechecked all connectors and hoses. Did notice a vacuum hose about 2.5 inches long just hanging loose forward of the fuse box. Need some help. Maybe I should have left well enough alone! Like I mentioned was starting and idling like a champ before I messed with the air filter. Help
Your first problem sounds more like a pulse generator problem.

But hook up that vacuum line and see what happens. One end of a vacuum line up there is capped off though. Don't know which one you're referring to, the capped one or the Ignition Modulevacuum. Maybe a picture?

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Ali: Thanks for the response.The LTD is fuel injected.I will try to trace the mystery vacuum hose when I get home tonight. Is it possible for this bike to run without the air filter.want to try it to see if it straightens out the idling problem??

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

There are 2 hoses that are capped off. Then the mystery hose 1.5 to 2.5 inched long that is not.

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
imported post

of course it is my bad! i know nothing about the injected bikes so i cant help you there! good luck!

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

I would remove the gas cap when it dies you may need a new one. It sounds like it will run till a vacuum it drawn in the fuel tank then it can't draw any fuel.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
imported post

Sounds as if you are describing the tubes attached to the PB/R&L sensors they are easily knocked off or loose when working in the air cleaner area and also check the crankcase breather holding tank just below stator housing on frame to see if it is plugged or full of gunk and empty.

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

took air filter cover off again last night and pulled the box out. 2 vacuum hoses were in fact disconnected when I installed the filter the first time. re-connected them and WALLA!!!!!Engine idling around 840 to 900. Took her for a 30 mile ride and I noticed that since I just changed the plugs and air filter she is reving to higher RPMS before I need to shift gears. I hope this is a good thing. The book says she should Idle around 1,000. Before the changes she was idling between 940 and 1100. I also here a baffled sound coming from the air box area. Bottom line,THANKS TO ALL FOR YOUR COMMENTS AND ADVICE. THIS FORUM IS THE GREATEST.

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
imported post

The 1200 will have a noise from the air box when accelerating hard but that means you are getting a lot of air through the air filter,did you use the Honda air cleaner?without the aircleaner they make a lot of noise(not saying to run without but just sitting when th air cleaner is out while changing) also you might check to see if the top on the a/c is properly seated.

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Thanks for the info. Yes I am using the Honda equivalent paper air filter. The box and lid seem to be seated properly. Is an Idle speed of 840 to 900 OK?? Also shifting gears at higher revs since changing air filter and plugs.

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

FYI: I will let all know if she still sputters and dies after a lengthy ride. If she does I will re-visit the pulsing sensor recomendation.

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Whoops misread your reply. No I did not use honda air cleaner, will check it out.

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
imported post

It will be ok @ 800-900 but if 1000 to 1100 smooths the engine it won't hurt,I personally run my ST and Wing from 1000 to 1100 for the oil pressure and the alternator,mt LTD had to have fuel filter @75k,but you will know for sure when it plugs up.pricy$Great bike,mine was one of the first ones and it had some fuel injector problems but honda did a good job on it.

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Thanks Biker: To increase the idle to 1,000 I need to adjust both the left and right banks correct?? I read one blog that said the idle adjustment is on the right side of the bike and you "can't" miss the adj screw. Well I did not see it. Thanks for all your help.

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
imported post

look on the LEFT side directly over and benindthe fuel filter(round and chrome) and move your throttle while looking and you will see the adjuster moving,a slotted screw driver will be all you need,DO NOT MOVE ANYTHING ELSE.BTW I really like the Alpine area,once you do the long climb from the desert.

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
imported post

look on the LEFT side directly over and benindthe fuel filter(round and chrome) and move your throttle while looking and you will see the adjuster moving,a slotted screw driver will be all you need,DO NOT MOVE ANYTHING ELSE.BTW I really like the Alpine area,once you do the long climb from the desert.

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
imported post

woops double post

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

Thanks for the info, will check it out this afternoon after work. Yeah, I love the Alpine area, have lived here for 25 years and it has grown 10 fold!! Still has the small town feel though!!!!!!!Lots of places to ride the wing!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

The idle is adjusted from the right side, but the screw is actually dead center, where the 2 links meet the bell-crank.

Do not mess with that left adjustment !! That just syncs the 2 pairs of throttle bodys.

If it's been monkeyed with, you're in need of a sync. job.
Too bad Honda made that left adjust so easy to tinker with.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.