Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted a thread a couple of weeks ago regarding tires - Dunlop Elite II. Going to NH this coming week so going to have them shipped to me there. $$$ savings versus buying Canada. I was double checking the sizes and to my astonishment noticed two different size tires and rims - front versus rear. Being new to the ride world, could somebody take the time to explain was different front and back. Thanks

·
Large Member
788 Posts
usually the rear is smaller than the front by 1". my 86 aspy is this way and so is my Yamaha. just order what is already on the bike, size wise, and you'll be fine.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
if you are replacing tires,i'd advise getting the Dunlop Elite III's,especially since they are a better handling tire,and usually are cheaper
besides the Elite II's have been out of production for several years now,probably 3

·
Premium Member
6,765 Posts
I posted a thread a couple of weeks ago regarding tires - Dunlop Elite II. Going to NH this coming week so going to have them shipped to me there. $$$ savings versus buying Canada. I was double checking the sizes and to my astonishment noticed two different size tires and rims - front versus rear. Being new to the ride world, could somebody take the time to explain was different front and back. Thanks

The reason why the front wheel is taller and narrower than the rear wheel has to do with handling. The wider the tire, the slower it will respond to being leaned into a curve. Since the front tire starts the turn process, it needs to be narrower as to get the bike to respond. Conversly, the rear tire is wider to provide some more stability in the corner once leaned over. The reason why it is taller, is it helps with getting the center of gravity of the bike to fall over into the lean. A taller front tire gives you more leverage than if they were the same size. Think about choppers that have a smaller front tire and how well they turn.

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, Neoracer for the advise on the Elite III's. Will check into that.
Thanks, 82gl1100iwingman for that great explanation on why the difference in tires sizes and rims.
I praise this forum and its members that take the time to explain and help out others, especially "newbies" like myself. Everything I learn on this forum helps me improve as a rider.

Cheers

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.