Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know i have posted before about a dead spot in my throttle at low speed but haven't attemted to fix that proublem as i am still in a fight with the insurance company, they have totaled it and not sure if i am keeping the bike.

my queary today is the bike started dieing when i release the throttle to downshift or stop. it is getting worse and won't always idle or start if i am not turning throttle. it just started today as i was running errands. could it be bad gas? clogged filter? or the throttle sensor? i am at 2/3 of a tank, i have about 2tbs stp jet cleaner in tank for last two fill ups.

help if you can as this is my main sourse of transportation and don't want to put alot of money in it incase they keep it on settlement

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
I wouldn't spend a lot of time looking anywhere else if you already know you have a bad TPS. Back probe the TPS at idle and see what your voltage reading is. Should be @ point five volts.

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
not sure if it is a bad tps just an option.

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
if the tps sensor is bad won't i get the lights lit up on the diagnostics?

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
could be that the throttle plates need to be synced along with maybe the tps is out of adjustment or going bad
unless the tps is way out of adjustment it may not set the ecm off

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
if the tps sensor is bad won't i get the lights lit up on the diagnostics?
No. The diagnostics are not that sophisticated. You'll only get a code if the circuit is open or shorted electrically. Not for misadjustment or being out of parameters.

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
this morning started up fine, ran great till it warmed up then died every time i down shifted or stopped unless i kept the rpm up which is not fun. i will check the fuel filter tomorrow and try to figure out how to check the tps with a multi tester. there are no fuel filters in town all need to order and want between 55-59.00. any replacement or cheaper?

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
3,349 Posts
I have seen a post about using a NAPA filter on the LTD. It said the filter is larger so might have to modify the mounting bracket on bike.

NAPA # 3556 or a Wix # 33556

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
There is another possibility on the LTD. Idle is controlled by a couple of reed valves hidden up under the air plenum (the rectangular aluminum box with a plastic top that the air filter sits on) These valves are aluminum, with rubber hoses BONDED to them. On mine the rubber hoses had rotted and broken off the aluminum part. This is not an easy fix, as new ones are not available. When it idles, do you hear anything that sounds like a chirping, or a hissing sound coming from under the fake tank?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.