Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

When I go to start my LTD, I press the start button, engine cranks over very fast, but won't always start. The Fuel System light comes on in the dash, and I check the lights on the computer and it tells me that the PBR sensor has a loose or shorted connection. I have traced these wires, cleaned all plugs and used dielectric grease on them. It seemed to work for the next two or three days, now, if I try to start it won't the first try, so I turn the key off, then on, wait for fuel pump to stop and then it starts right up. The bike works perfectly when running, as I have installed the poor boy alternator, changed the crank sensor to one off a 1500, changed the throttle sensor and the cam sensor. I drove this bike from the east coast of Canada to the Rockie Mountains towing a large camper trailer and 2-up. Had this problem almost every time I started it. We put 12 thousand plus kilometers on and it was a joy to drive, once it started. Don't know what else to do. I even changed the wires from left sensor to right sensor and it just did the same thing, only opposite, so the sensor isn't bad, just the wiring. Should I just replace the wire from sensor to the computer???

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
imported post

try tightrening the plug connectors, sounds like maybe one of them may be a little loose, another thing that comes to mind is: if you turn the ignition off then on and wait for the fuel pump to run maybe the pump is getting a little weak?

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks for the quick reply. I am going to take the false tank off today and try to find a broken wire to the PBR sensor. The computer says it is a shorted wire, but maybe it is the sensor itself. I don't know if this sensor has to be working to run or not???? Once it does start, it is a great working machine, never hesitates and runs like a top. I'll keep trying

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

thanks for the help, I took the seat off, the false tank off and the pockets out of the fairing, searched and could not find a broken wire. So I got out the contact cleaner and dielectric grease and I cleaned every plug I could find. I did find a couple really dirty connections but the rest looked OK to me, at least with my tired old eyes LOL To make a long story short, I did what I could do, put her back together and she now runs like a top, smooth as a kitten as we say up here in the north. Thanks for the help. This is really a great page for us Wingers

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

Glad you got it working. These LTDs are complicated contraptions, and so many parts are no longer available for them. I'm seriously thinking of selling mine as a parts bike, and starting over with a GL1100. I only bought the LTD a couple of months ago, and had no idea what I was getting into.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Really mine nearly drove me around the bend when I first got it. It quit when I was a hundred miles from home the first time. I thought it was the fuel pump, but it was the crank sensor. Of course they aren't available anymore, so I made one out of a sensor from a 1500. From then on, I just kept going and I really love this bike, it is a dream to drive, but you just gotta love working on them I guess.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
imported post

what did you have to do to get the 1500 sensor to work?

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
imported post

yeah, what he said

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

The sensor is for a 1500 like I said. It comes actually with 2 sensors in one wire harness. I took the harness apart, and used only one of them. I had to modify the mounting bracket on the engine which is just to shorten the post where the bolt screws into, and I also had to file the bolt hole in the sensor oblong to get the pickup part to line up with the star washer. I have put about 25,000Km or about 15000 miles on it and it is still working like a dream. Only problem, when you run the wires up into the plug in the false tank, some of them have to be reversed to run right. Mine was one of those. Just don't make anything permanent until you try running the engine. They will still run, but not very well. Reverse the wires in the plug and she ran like a dream, and still is. I have made many mods to the bike, and yesterday I drove it and I'm thinking it is workking like a new one.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Just another thought, you also get a spare sensor, as two come with the harness, so maybe you can share one with some one. I know I kept mine thinking I would need it, but I guess it is not going to be needed now. They are not expensive anyway, so the dealer carrys them in stock. At least they did here in Canada

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
imported post

hmmmmm great info, THANKS

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Most of the stuff I have done to the Ltd was found here on this great site. Thanks to Steve, a life saver for the LTD

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Most of the stuff I have done to the Ltd was found here on this great site. Thanks to Steve, a life saver for the LTD

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.