Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I purchase my LTD in late November of 2008. She had 41,000 onand I have put just under 2000 on her since. She runs like a dream. I drive 60miles round trip to work. Two weeks ago on my ride home (I live at about 2000 ft above sea level) the same way I go every day I exited off the interstate after the climb up the hill, stopped at the stop sign. When I pulled out she started sputtering and stalling. I made it about a mile down the rode and she died. I let her set for about 30 minutes, started her up and she was fine. I replaced the fuel filter last Friday and have an air filter on its way this week. Drove her all weekend, hopped on her Monday and coming home from work pulled in for gas filled her up and the same thing happened. Took the gas cap off (again) relieved the pressure but she sputtered, tach fluxed between 600 and1000 dropped to 450 and she died. Sat for 45 minutes and bamo, started right up and rode fine.

Also Friday I put half bottle of Sea Foam in the tank and noticed an immediate improvement in the milage!

Does anyone have a clue what is going on. Could it be the increase in altitude?? Like I said this didn't start happening until 2 weeks ago and it is driving me bananas.

I have visited this sight many times, and I am a first time logger onner. Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
imported post

Had you put sea foam in it before? If not you might want to double check the filter, the sea faom may have loosened up some gunk and is plugging the filter again. I don't know about the 85 but on the 1500 they have a vacuum operated fuel switch. If the hose has a small leak it could expand and cause a larger leak after the engine is warmed up. After running down the road and coming to a stop the vavle may shut off then all you have is the fuel in the bowls. After she cools down it would lessen the leak and let the valve work. Like I say I am not sure on an 85. Someone with more experience on the older bikes will be along shortly...

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Tried sea foam after the 1st incident. Thanks for the reply. I was going to ask about the fuel cut-off and its location. Hopefully an owner of an older wing will help me out. This has happened twice, both upon arriving home!!! Thanks

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Sounds like the pulse coils going south on you to me.

Snorebaby has been fighting overheating fuel pumps with the same symptoms.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Take a bag of ice with you and when it does that, ice it down for a minute or two and see if it runs after that.
Be careful though if it is screeching hot it will burn the **** outta you so be careful.

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
imported post

In looking here it won't be your fuel valve as it looks like it's manually operated not vacuum.

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

I will try the Ice. You are correct about it being a manual valve. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
imported post

The first thing I check with a, runs great till it's hot then stalls, cool down and runs again........ Is the Coil or Coils. 90% of the time I have found this is the problem with older style ignition systems. Hope you find the bug.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
imported post

San Diego Winger,

You can check the fuel pressure by getting a gauge and hooking it into the fuel rail and lashing it down on top of the right side fairing pocket cover. This is what I did when I had problems with my LTD. You can ride it and keep tabs on the fuel pressure.

If it is not a fuel problem, I am with Rudy - it sounds like the crankshaft pulse sensor (also known as the NS Sensor) that is on the front of the engine next to the cam belt pulley. They are notorious for acting like you describe when they start to go bad. Eventually, it won't run at all if that is the problem.

There is a wealth of info about your problem on this site if you search for it.There is a lot of detail about the two potential problems I described. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
imported post

Carry a (good) spare plug and when it stalls pull the plug wire and pop in the spare plug and check for spark. If you don't, coils are probably your problem. I'm betting you have a bad fuel pump.

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Thanks to all of you for your insight. What a great site. I am proud to be a member!! I will follow up and let you know what I find. Thanks again. Any other comments would be welcome.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.