Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Thanks to everyone at this great place I have been keeping up with all the glitches on this m/c. But it started acting up tonight, I'll start with miles on it(147,000) and known existing problems: cruise control, air system do not work (been living with)started outtofood store run fine for half mile then started cutting out,missing, burned fuel smell had to keep jocking throttle to get back home, it would start right back up when it would die but would not idle without messing with throttle, arrived at house and it stayed idling until I shut it off. It's after dark got flashlight out and checked fuel pump visually running and cycling as it should, warning indicators (dash&main computer) all normal , charging system (already modified), battery & circuits good. Any Ideas, it feels electrical but I will change fuel pump first, that will be #5. Oh and another tidbit all other lights and instrumentation functioning normally. Thanks again:12ltd:

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
imported post

Does the fuel pump come on when key turned on and fuel lite go off after few seconds? if so fuel pump probably working ok. it can be a costly change. It may be the TPS (throttle position sensor). do a search of forum form info on that.

and welcom to the site. ride safe.

Attachments

·
Administrator
26,577 Posts
imported post

You might want to check the fuel filter before you spring for a new pump.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks, forgot about the filter will check first, the pump and indicators operating in right sequence. I do have service and supplement manuals just misplaced the supplementstill looking. I prepared myself as far as parts go just in case, have extra pumps, filters computers, four complete engines with injection systemand enough parts except frames to complete two more. Hmm now that I read this looks like I spend to much time on Ebey:12ltd:

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

Okay - when it comes to gas-engine knowledge I draw from Jaguar knowledge much more than from the Motorcycle world, and I apologize in advance.

That said - does the GL-1200 LTD have some kind of crank-position sensor? I would think the answer would be a resounding yes. If that's the case, that's a weak point on the V-12 XJ-S. People get a similar symptom and replacing it is cheap, simple and immediate.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

swapped out the fuel pump with a E8000 I was keeping as a spare no luck and yes it does have a crank sensor on front of engine about 5 o'clock and I'm afraid that's the direction its going some sensor gone bad somewhere. Well into town to get a meter and continue looking for that supp manual I know I put it somewhere that I wouldn't forget it and I forgot!:baffled: Thanksagain.:12ltd:

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
imported post

you can review the supplement online.

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

Most frequently, the NS sensor goes bad when it's hot. So checking it cold won't usually show a problem. I heat the edge of the mount portion, till it's too hot to hold, and test it that way. Or better yet, put it in an oven that's heated to about 275 degrees, and test it real quick upon removal out of oven. Virtually all of them are failing, so carry a spare.

I'm not sure that's your problem, tho. Usually, when the NS sensor fails, it won't start for some time, till it cools down. That's not to say, that yours may be failing a little differently. But, if it were mine, I think I'd start with cleaning the contacts on the ecu and it's connector. Good luck t-shooting that problem. Can be a challenge.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Well after my last post was going into town for materials but battery in truck was dead, so while it was charging I went ahead and swapped the ecu just for grins. started it up still had to jockey throttle but it was better, took Eng up to 4000 rpm for 3 sec and let go, Eng gave a rough low frequency vibration and idled back smoothly, revved it up several more times at different rates smooth as silk, took it for a 5 mile test, ran great. I don't if the different ecu fixed it or it fixed itself:baffled:I will take it out for an extended ride tomorrow Thanks:12ltd:

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Update: since my last post I rode fifteen miles and engine totally quit running, hauled her back to the house, dismantled down toframe, wires and wheelsand spent the last week inspecting and testing every component and sensors( hot and cold)that were in the manuals, (I did finally find my manuals). Results were all sensors were dead on with manual specs and the components were a different story. One spark plug shorting to ground, main fuse/relay assembly bad, (fuses & relays good) and ignition switch bad, changed bad parts excepted for the ignition switch, put fairing and seat back on butfound I had lost oil fuel reserve and the LED temp indicators, after two hours of studying wire schematics trying to find which connector I forgot to plug in when came my senior moment, plug the trip computer back in, problem solved. reconnected battery one last time, hit the startswitch,success, running good. I'm going to go ahead and change the belts this coming weekendwhile everything's exposed. If I can remember45 to 50 K on them :12ltd:

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

OK this thing is driving nuts!:?I received the gages that I ordered and installed them to the aft L/R intake runners to sync the two sides and they were dead on, but I noticed the needles always stayed in the red zone indicating a big intake leak, do not know if the gages are calibrated for an ltd I haven't found any reference in the manual as to what the vacuum readings are supposed to beso assuming the gages are correct. Went through all the lines I could get at, nothing. I just read V_man_1 post sounds very similar, running rich, small popping in the pipes, idle won't stay putswings wildly, I did change the PBL/R sensors, fuel regulator, air valve, all other sensors checked. Still awaiting vacuum pump to test secondary air system. Does this seem like a reed or after burn valvegone bad? The vacuum check will be the last thing I will do, if no results I will pull out and install a replacement injection system, kinda out time emissions are due in three weeks!:12ltd:

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

It's ALIVE!! After getting frustrated with this thing, got mad, closed my eyes and started ripping and tearing, pulled out the throttle body/fuel injection unit and walla! I foundseveral of the hoses deteriorated, So it is sporting a 86 sei unit and tested, that cured the problems, and whileI had it apart changed out all the ignition parts, crank trigger sensor, pb r/l sensors.Put over 550 miles on it and it's running not quite but close to perfect,It flew right onthrough emission testing, so now I have time to work on the over heating problem, the only thing I haven't changed, head gaskets here I come!:12ltd:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.