Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the hole for the lighter but the bike did not come with one, I want to add an outlet or maybe even a lighter where do you think is the easiest place to mount and wire it ? I was thinking in one of the pockets but I'd like some opinions.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
I drilled a hole above the right hand locked compartment, keeping in mind that the aux. screws are a only 5amp, I used a relay to the battery, through a handlbar on/off switch, with the relay being activated at the aux screws.

·
Large Member
788 Posts
I put mine in the plastic cover on the left lower fairing where the volume/tone/CB knobs are. It is the type that can either be the 12v can or two USB slots. It's not a real cigarette lighter, just a port for aux power. I wired it to the 5A aux fuse in the fuse block and left it at 5A. A cig lighter, useless for me, draws 12A and gets quite hot.

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
Using a relay just to ensure devices are turned off when the bike is off is redundant. Just hookuing into the ACC terminal does the same thing since the circuit is switched.

In this case, I think, the best need for a relay is when you want to power something with more current than the switch can handle.

For instnace, if you are using a micro switch, you are not going to hook a 10ga wire to it. You would use small gauge wire to run to the switch, but heavy gauge wire to actually power the device.

But then, I could be wrong- it has happened once or twice before.... lol :ROFL:

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Shouldn't there be a plug in there somewhere where the lighter would normally plug into ? I'm just trying to make it simple as possible.

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I put mine in the plastic cover on the left lower fairing where the volume/tone/CB knobs are. It is the type that can either be the 12v can or two USB slots. It's not a real cigarette lighter, just a port for aux power. I wired it to the 5A aux fuse in the fuse block and left it at 5A. A cig lighter, useless for me, draws 12A and gets quite hot.
I have seen them 2 screws for the aux fuse is one a ground and one hot ? I know dumb question but I don't remember seeing a + - on the screws but I didn't look at them that good.

·
Large Member
788 Posts
no. One side of the fuse comes from the source , the other leg is after the fuse-both are hot. ground has nothing to do with the fuse block, for good reason.

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
On the '85 GL1200A, I have one in the top rear trunk (use it for SkyFi, I plug in the power adapter / wireless modu;lator there so it's just a few inches from radio antenna for no interfearance), one in left saddle bag (switched, use to recharge stuff like when I had a bag phone, now to recharge whatever), one in left front pocket in a hole (where I plug my Garmin cord under soft cover) and one recessed inside the right front pocket as well. That's four.

On the '97 1500SE/Trike, two in top rear trunk (one in lower half, one up top for SkyFi like in 1200, it resides in trunk hump up top) and there is one in the lower rear trunk just above the door inside .... and there is one in each front pocket like the 1200 ... and for same reasons. That's five.

I have them on 10 amp fused circuits (some share fuses) and use them to charge stuff, operate Garmin and SkyFi, and I can plug my battery maintainer in them.

:waving:

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
One in the right fairing below the right speaker (stock location), one in the left fairing pocket (a very useful location for stuff that gets kept plugged in) and one inside the top box in the rear right corner behind the corner lens facing upwards. This one has a snap on cover and has permanent power to it through a fuse from the battery, the other two are run through a relay fused from the battery and triggered from the accessory terminal.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.