Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

:Hi all.
Before, on the old forum, I mentioned that our speedo had dropped. The replies recieved were very helpful. The sensor had blown, according to the Haynes testing page.
The new one came in today, and it behaves as Haynes described, but on closer inspection, the plastic 'ring gear', for want of a better description, is also shot.
So what I am asking is, does anyone in the Dublin area have a spare one that they have no use for? I phoned Silvers today and that plastic piece has been discontinued; one has to buy the whole drive/casing complete. Ain't that a bitch.
Hoping for a miracle.
Thanks.
Phil

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
imported post

Is this the electrical wheel sender unit? If it is, I know Steve has one (a faulty one) because he fitted a new one to a 1200 about two weeks back. Send him an e-mail quick before it goes into the bin!

·
Premium Member
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

No Paul, well yes. The matchbox sized square doohickey (sender) was fried.

Got a new one. But I had to take the wheel off completely because of disc covers, and could not change the sender.

When I did, the drive unit on the wheel fell off, so I thought that I would clean it out and regrease it. It's a pity I didn't look at it sooner.

But I noticed a kind of a notchy feel to it when I turned it.

When I pulled the centre out; that's the plastic bit; kind of a small 'ring gear'; that gets turned by the wheel that runs the worm that turns the spade that activates the sender, it was then that I noticed it was chewed to pieces.

So it is the plastic piece that is needed now, 'cos the wheel will turn, and the gear will turn, but all the teeth are gone, so it won't run the worm that turns ................

Bet that is as clear as mud.

Phil.

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
imported post

Sorry Phil, thought it was the electronic sender you wanted. I know the part you are looking for but I don't think it's available seperately.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.