Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Honda Guru
2,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m working on a friends 86 GL1200I. It runs well but I hear a loud ‘clicking’ once every 5 seconds. When I put my hand on it I feel a ‘buzz’ It’s been awhile since I played with a 1200 so I’m hoping for some input. Thanks

·
Administrator
22,400 Posts
The good news is, those pumps are still available.

Not cheap but if you only have to buy one every 35 years or so... :grin3:

Somewhere, I think on this site, there's a tutorial on how to replace the rubber piece that quiets the tapping. Can't find it now.

Also, make sure you don't have a pre-pump fuel restriction. The pump will tick when it hasn't got enough fuel. A dirty filter could be the problem.

·
Premium Member
6,392 Posts
Thanks Bike.... and thank Dennis also.
Hi Ray,
The theory of operation of those pumps is actually pretty simple and will help you understand why they click when the rubber bumper wears out.
The actual fuel pressure is made br a spring pushing on a diaphragm. So if you are putting a new pump on the spring is in a relative relaxed state with the piston and diaphragm all the way forward. The piston and diaphragm always move as one. You turn the key on and the electromagnet pulls the steel piston back and compresses the spring. This action pulls the diaphragm causing vacuum to suck fuel in to the pump. . Also when the piston comes back the piston will hit and open a set of points at the end of it's travel. This will open the points and shut off off the magnet. The spring is now loaded and will travel forward pushing fuel and building fuel pressure. If the pressure is high enough the piston (and diaphragm) can not travel far enough forward to allow the points to close.Now electrically the pump is just waiting for the pressure to drop, so the piston can move forward enough that the points will close again. Then the process starts all over again.
The click that you hear is the piston being suck (snapped) back by the magnet. There is a rubber disk in the pump so it does not click against the metal but time and wear destroys the rubber. The pump can function fine indefinitely if you can tolerate the click. You can disassemble and replace the disk with a makeshift disk, or replace the pump. What ever flips your flapjack. :)

After all my typing I found this:
https://goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8642

1 - 6 of 6 Posts