Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just recently I noticed a low engine speed vibration which disappeared after about 2500 rpm. I have read many threads which suggest that this is quite common in the 1200.
It's got worse. Its now a rattle at tickover from the stator/clutch area. Still vibrates at low engine speed and disappears after 2500rpm.
I've checked out plugs ,leads, coils and the complete EFI system and found nothing.
I seem to recall there being a nut which can come loose but don't remember the detail. Can anyone help throw some light on this? I have run out of ideas now.
Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.
Les

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
Have you run a compression test? Are all four pipes getting hot... IE are you sure all four cylinders are firing?

The only nut I've seen anything about is the nut for the stator, which can be checked easily enough by pulling the plug on the back of the stator housing. Not saying there isn't another nut, just saying I haven't seen anything else :cheesygrin:

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Compressions all check out. Once we get over the 2500rpm it goes like a ROCKET!. All cyclinders are firing but thanks for the ideas.
Les

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
Almost sounds as if the engine needs the throttle bodies balanced-similar to carb balance procedure. Also a good idea to look for secondary air/vacuum leaks that will cause a problem at low RPM. Have you performed any maintenance before this such as timing belt change?
If it were me I would do the following...
1. Check for fault codes on the ECU while the engine is running rough. ECU is located under travel trunk. Code sight window can be viewed from left side.
2. Do a forum search for vacuum line repair/reed valve repair on the LTD / SEi. I think JerryH and others have posted some good pics showing this.
3. Worth checking the Throttle position sensor voltage.
After doing this perform the throttle balance procedure spelled out in the SEI supplement-let us know if you have a copy of this.

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
Agree with Sam, pull the manifold to get a good look at the vacuum/air system. If the read valve hoses are toast, be gentle and they CAN be repaired. Then when you get it back together balance the bodies.

This is a pic of what I did for my reed valves, not my idea originally, I believe I got it from a thread started by robthehillbilly combined with some of the ideas JerryH used, but if you do a forum search you should be able to find the details.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.