Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I changed my belts over the winter. Now when in 4th or 5th gear between 40-50 mph their is a noise that sounds like the slack adjuster idler. But no noise at idle or when I rev the engine, when sitting on center stand. Should I be concerned or let go? AlsoI thought that the little springs that set the belt tension could be stretched after this many years. Any thoughts?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I'd pull the covers and take a look. Not a good thing if a belt or idler failed. I just check them by spinning them and listening for noise and rocking them sideways to see if there's any free play or slop in the bearings. One other cause of noise is tight belts, they cause a warbling or chirping sound. Just a slight slacking of the belt(s) will take care of that. Often that kind of noise only starts as the engine warms up. The aluminum engine case expands as it heats up which tends to tighten the belts a bit. I often find I have to help the spring a bit by hand to get the tension right. The book calls for 1/4"deflection in the middle of the belton the side opposite the tensioner when pressed with 4.4lbs (2 kilos). I usually set them just a slight bit looser as that setting often seem to make noise.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

thanks exavid I have started to take things apart to do a readjust

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.