Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Just purchased a 86 interstate, the fuel light comes on and it does not run like it suppose to. I know its full of fuel. Filled it with cam 2 to try to clear up a hessitation. Does any one have advise? It would be greatly appriciated.

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
imported post

How many miles on the bike? Had it been sitting up for a long time? What had the previous owner done to the bike recently and did he give you receipts for the work?

Is the tank full to the neck inside the filler cap?
Does the fuel gauge indicate full? The gauge sender and the fuel light are separate parts of the sender assembly. Don't put much stock in the fuel light until you find what the real problem is with the way it runs.

Did you change the fuel and air filters?
Was there old gas in the tank when you got the bike?
Is the insulator on the electrode end of the spark plugs light tan in color?

Does it idle nicely and run well at steady speed?
Some have cured a hesitation by shimming the needle in the carburetor slides. It enriches the mixture slightly at off idle throttle opening.

Just a few things to look at,

Lyle

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

The wing has just under 100,00 on it. Has new air filter, the previous owner said it has sat since about June, he didn't have time to ride so he was selling it. The fuel filter has been changed, not factory filter but aftermarket clear one and fuel looks fine. I put in new plugs today and only one of the old ones looked funny on the end, kinda whiteish looking. Bike seems to idle ok just don't have the get up and go that my 1100's have had. Didn't know if I should maybe get a better feul fiter and try that or if it really matters. thanks for any help.

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
imported post

First of all, the fuel light/gauge is a separate sending unit in the tank, it would have nothing to do with the running of the bike. I would change all the filters, new plugs and try some Sea Foam for a few tanks, then go from there. I'm sure you will find a lot of help here.

Jim

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
imported post

jaywalls wrote:
Just purchased a 86 interstate, the fuel light comes on and it does not run like it suppose to. I know its full of fuel. Filled it with cam 2 to try to clear up a hessitation. Does any one have advise? It would be greatly appriciated.
You might want to leave the cam 2 to a race engine. That motor was designed for 87 octane. A fresh tank of 87 and a half a can of seafoam might work better for cleaing things out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.