Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I've noticed that over the years either through vibration or previous work the rubberized air vent ducts have come unattached from the plastic louvers in the fairing exit. I've removed the vents and attempted to reattach the ducts to the vents but (1) seems that the rubber ducts are too short and (2) the ducts' opening configuration doesn't seem to match up correctly with the vent's internal hard plastic configuration. Am I missing an easy fix or is there supposed to be a transitional part that connects the two?

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
imported post

As far as I know there is no "transitional part" for the vents/ducts... Duct is one piece from front to back and you're right, they are real/royal pain to put them back on if they come off or you took them off to work in the fairing. I had to take both left and right out to "UN-butcher" a PO's aftermarket stereo wiring install and it took the better part of a day to get both ducts and vent covers reinstalled (my hands ain't that small nor do they bend like that). :hovering:

Ken

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Kendas wrote:
As far as I know there is no "transitional part" for the vents/ducts... Duct is one piece from front to back and you're right, they are real/royal pain to put them back on if they come off or you took them off to work in the fairing. I had to take both left and right out to "UN-butcher" a PO's aftermarket stereo wiring install and it took the better part of a day to get both ducts and vent covers reinstalled (my hands ain't that small nor do they bend like that). :hovering:

Ken
Thanks Ken for the "bad news". LOL... My hands are large too and it seemed like every time I went to snap the ducts onto the vents and then push the whole thing back in I had the same problems. I even tried using needle-nose pliers to try and hold them on but they too got in the way of the vent opening and then pulled back inside the fairing when the vent was snapped into place. These have been disconnected for quite some time and seems that the rubberized ducts have formed a flattened shape from heat/cold over the years and no longer will maintain the rectangle shape of the insides of the vent plastic.

Guess I'll just let them be for now but was wondering if there really is that much effect when riding in warm weather with the vents open?

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Try heating them in hot water or with a low setting on a heat gun/hair dryer first to make the rubber pliable. Had that on me 83 also.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

newday777 wrote:
Try heating them in hot water or with a low setting on a heat gun/hair dryer first to make the rubber pliable. Had that on me 83 also.
I think I'll try that this spring when the weather warms up and see how it goes.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

In very hot weather the do seem to do some good, but a vent in the windshield works better.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

tricky wrote:
In very hot weather the do seem to do some good, but a vent in the windshield works better.
The current windshield is in great shape but I'd think a vented one would be a good idea when/if I change windshields. Thanks for the insight!

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

You can add a vent by cutting a hole for it if you want. You can even cut down the height of the windshield.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Another great idea that I wasn't aware of. Thanks!

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,768 Posts
imported post

Removing both the fairing pocket, and speaker, gives a little more room to work on those tubes.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Bike...and Dennis wrote:
Removing both the fairing pocket, and speaker, gives a little more room to work on those tubes.
Dang... NOW you tell me!!! :ROFL: Too bad I didn't think of this when I had the mirror bracket problem since I had them out at that time working on that problem.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.