Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Yesterday while I was riding, all of a sudden my instrument panel started flickeringand the more power that was being drawn, the worse it got. Finally the bike just died and would not start. I have a feeling it is the alternator not charging the battery and running the bike. When the key was on, it had power, just not a lot (thus ruling out a bad battery) and when I jumped it it fired up. I was able to get home (with every accessory turned off). My question is this:

A) - Where is the alternator located on a 1986 Aspencade (I tried locating it in the manual, but couldn't find it)

B) - How easy are they to replace?

C) - What are we looking at for prices for alternators?

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,956 Posts
imported post

Fireman_Dan wrote:
A) - Where is the alternator located on a 1986 Aspencade (I tried locating it in the manual, but couldn't find it)

B) - How easy are they to replace?

C) - What are we looking at for prices for alternators?

A: In the back of the engine.

B: Engine has to come out.

C: Alternator; $433. Stator; $235. I don't know if both are necessary. Plus gaskets etc., of course.

If it were me I'd plan on doing other stuff while the engine is out. How's the clutch? Belts? Clean the carbs...new hoses...paint...

Price source:

http://www.westernhonda.com/fiche_select2.asp?category=Motorcycles&make=Honda&year=1987&fveh=3445

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
imported post

Type "GL1200 stator" into search, as there is a wealth of info on this. Unfortunately it's an engine out job to change the original stator, so ensure you test it thoroughly first. See if you get approx 14 volts across the battery with the engine running at about 3000 revs. If not there's likely to be a problem somewhere.

Check the 3 yellow wires coming from the alternator. There's a plug that needs cutting out of circuit and the wires soldering together instead. (The plug overheats and causes poor connections etc).
As you do this, do the AC stator tests. Basically you should get around 50-70V ac across the 3 combinations of pairs of wires from the stator with the engine running, (with wires disconnected and testing from the stator o/put).
With the engine switched off, you need to check there is absolutely NO earth on any of the stator wires (again with them disconnected). Ie. resistance to earth should be infinate.
Good luck. As I say- search the forum on this. There is a modification to fit a car alternator externally (look under "poorboy"). I did this on mine and my mate's bikes- it's a permanent cure for this endemic failure....Steve

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
imported post

the symptoms you have are the same as what I had on my aspy, and it was the bone fuse holder, and soliniod had shorted and burnt.

these are situated to the right of the battery, take the bone fuse right out to check it because visually it can look fine, mine fell apart when I touched it.

very common fault with the aspys, replace the bone fuse with a blade fuse.

good luck,

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
imported post

Oldish winger is absolutely right. Other things can cause this problem and need examining- and that's also why it's important to do the stator checks before condemming it.....Steve

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

Mine did the same thing - damn dogbone fuse was it - this was about a week or so ago.

I temporarily installed a paperclip and the problem went away.

Here's my temporary fix:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.